X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing advanced printer options

First of all, KDE is great.
    Second of all, I need to set printing to greyscale, and also to reverse the printing order. The advanced printing options are not displaying. But in plain Ubuntu (gnome) they display and are configurable, with same hardware and same OS version and same everything.

System info:
    Operating System: Kubuntu 19.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.15.4
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.56.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.2
    Kernel Version: 5.0.0-19-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit
    Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM

Printer: HP OfficeJet Pro 6830, network connected (ethernet)

I tried configuring it through browser, by printer IP, but the needed settings are not available.

This was originally a plain Ubuntu installation, in which I installed Kubuntu.

screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cdbk1w9ty...14350.png?dl=0

Have you tried installing - or re-installing - hplip? It's in the repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      Have you tried installing - or re-installing - hplip? It's in the repositories.
      I uninstalled hplip, reinstalled it, rebooted, but still no advanced printing options.
      I googled a little and it seems to be a known bug in recent versions of KDE.

Maybe I can configure the settings I need by terminal?

Comment

Don't know about that...
        I don't have it on this OS, but on others I had an hplip that I got from the HP site, and that gave me a lot more options, it had a separate "HP Control Panel" that you got to from the application Launcher by typing hp in the search, and.. I don't know, maybe it's worth a try. I remember installing that because the repo one didn't give me some options. That was years ago though, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Don't know about that...
          I don't have it on this OS, but on others I had an hplip that I got from the HP site, and that gave me a lot more options, it had a separate "HP Control Panel" that you got to from the application Launcher by typing hp in the search, and.. I don't know, maybe it's worth a try. I remember installing that because the repo one didn't give me some options. That was years ago though, so...
          I downloaded and am now installing hplip from the HP site. It is a newer version than the one in the repo. I will come back to complain if I still have problems. So if you don't hear from me, thanks now!

Comment

Get the HPLIP GUI. It works with what is already in Kubuntu for your HP printer and presents the options you're looking for. Don't worry about the latest and greatest version of HPLIP, just get what supports your printer and works with your version of Kubuntu. My HP Deskjet 3755 works great with HPLIP 3.17.10. You can find that version in Synaptic/Muon/Discover.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Go to a terminal and type the the following
              Code:
              sudo apt install hplip-gui
              then look for hptool box in the menu. It will do what you need.
              Good luck.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Indeed, hplip-gui works right on Kubuntu (although it does not work right on plain Ubuntu, because the system tray does not launch). And it allows for advanced printer configuration.
                However, the latest and greatest version has proper support for print-to-fax, which is a feature I need.

Comment

Go grab it (probably from the HPLIP site), install it, and see what happens. There may be issues with 19.04, I don't know for sure one way or the other, but after the install run hp-check (I believe that's right utility) from a konsole and see what errors come up - if any. It might work out of the box
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    Go grab it (probably from the HPLIP site), install it, and see what happens. There may be issues with 19.04, I don't know for sure one way or the other, but after the install run hp-check (I believe that's right utility) from a konsole and see what errors come up - if any. It might work out of the box
                    I grabbed it and installed it a few days ago and I am happy with it. Here's the output from hp-check, I don't see errors:
                    Code:
                    [FONT=monospace][B]HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.5)[/B]
                    [B]Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 15.1[/B]

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
                    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
                    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
                    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

[B]Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:[/B]
                    1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode   
                    before compiling the HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run)
                    to determine if the proper dependencies are installed to      
                    successfully compile HPLIP.                                   
                    2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to        
                    determine if a distro supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or   
                    an already built HPLIP supplied tarball has the proper        
                    dependencies installed to successfully run.                   
                    3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both)       
                    (Default): This mode will check both of the above cases (both
                    compile- and run-time dependencies).                          

Check types:                                                  
                    a. EXTERNALDEP - External Dependencies                        
                    b. GENERALDEP - General Dependencies (required both at        
                    compile and run time)                                         
                    c. COMPILEDEP - Compile time Dependencies                     
                    d. [All are run-time checks]                                  
                    PYEXT SCANCONF QUEUES PERMISSION                              

Status Types:
                       OK
                       MISSING       - Missing Dependency or Permission or Plug-
                    in
                       INCOMPAT      - Incompatible dependency-version or Plugin
                    -version

---------------
                    | SYSTEM INFO |
                    ---------------

Kernel: 5.0.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 24 09:32:09 
                    UTC 2019 GNU/Linux
                    Host: shmuel-System-Product-Name
                    Proc: 5.0.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 24 09:32:09 UT
                    C 2019 GNU/Linux
                    Distribution: 12 19.04
                    Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
                    | HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
                    -----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.19.5
                    HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
                    HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is supported for ubuntu
                    distro  19.04 version  

[B]Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:[/B]
                    # hplip.conf. Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
                    version=3.19.5

[dirs]
                    home=/usr/share/hplip
                    run=/var/run
                    ppd=/usr/share/ppd/HP
                    ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd
                    doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.19.5
                    html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.19.5
                    icon=/usr/share/applications
                    cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
                    cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
                    drv=/usr/share/cups/drv/hp
                    bin=/usr/bin
                    apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
                    # Following values are determined at configure time and canno
                    t be changed.
                    [configure]
                    network-build=yes
                    libusb01-build=no
                    pp-build=no
                    gui-build=yes
                    scanner-build=yes
                    fax-build=yes
                    dbus-build=yes
                    cups11-build=no
                    doc-build=yes
                    shadow-build=no
                    hpijs-install=no
                    foomatic-drv-install=no
                    foomatic-ppd-install=no
                    foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
                    hpcups-install=yes
                    cups-drv-install=yes
                    cups-ppd-install=no
                    internal-tag=3.19.5
                    restricted-build=no
                    ui-toolkit=qt4
                    qt3=no
                    qt4=yes
                    qt5=no
                    policy-kit=no
                    lite-build=no
                    udev_sysfs_rules=no
                    hpcups-only-build=no
                    hpijs-only-build=no
                    apparmor_build=yes
                    class-driver=no

[B]Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:[/B]
                    Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such fil
                    e or directory

[B]Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:[/B]
                    [upgrade]
                    notify_upgrade = true
                    last_upgraded_time = 1561640805
                    pending_upgrade_time = 0
                    latest_available_version = 3.17.10

[settings]
                    systray_visible = 1
                    systray_messages = 2

[last_used]
                    device_uri = hpfax:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.100.4
                    printer_name = Officejet_Pro_6830_fax
                    working_dir = .

[commands]
                    scan = /usr/bin/xsane -V %SANE_URI%

[refresh]
                    rate = 30
                    enable = false
                    type = 1

[polling]
                    enable = false
                    interval = 5
                    device_list =  

[fax]
                    voice_phone =  
                    email_address =  

[installation]
                    date_time = 06/30/2019 21:31:58
                    version = 3.19.5

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional
                    > <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

--------------
                    | COMPILEDEP |
                    --------------

gcc                  gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler   
                                         REQUIRED        -               8.3.0  
                            OK         -
                    make                 make - GNU make utility to maintain gro
                    ups of programs       REQUIRED        3.0             4.2.1  
                            OK         -
                    libtool              libtool - Library building support serv
                    ices                  REQUIRED        -               2.4.6  
                            OK         -

------------------------
                    | General Dependencies |
                    ------------------------

libcrypto            libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic libra
                    ry                    REQUIRED        -               1.1.1  
                            OK         -
                    python-xml           Python XML libraries                   
                                         REQUIRED        -               2.2.6  
                            OK         -
                    libnetsnmp-devel     libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking libr
                    ary development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.7.3  
                            OK         -
                    sane-devel           SANE - Scanning library development fil
                    es                    REQUIRED        -               -      
                            OK         -
                    pil                  PIL - Python Imaging Library (required 
                    for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL        -     
                             1.1.7           OK         -
                    pyqt4-dbus           PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4   
                                         REQUIRED        4.0             4.12.1 
                            OK         -
                    libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library     
                                         REQUIRED        -               2.29   
                            OK         -
                    python-devel         Python devel - Python development files
                                         REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.16 
                            OK         -
                    cups-devel           CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System
                    development files    REQUIRED        -               2.2.10 
                            OK         -
                    python-dbus          Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus 
                                         REQUIRED        0.80.0          1.2.8  
                            OK         -
                    cups-ddk             CUPS DDK - CUPS driver development kit 
                                         OPTIONAL        -               -      
                            OK         -
                    reportlab            Reportlab - PDF library for Python     
                                         OPTIONAL        2.0             3.5.18 
                            OK         -
                    pyqt4                PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt
                    version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             4.12.1 
                            OK         -
                    libusb               libusb - USB library                   
                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0    
                            OK         -
                    cups-image           CUPS image - CUPS image development fil
                    es                    REQUIRED        -               2.2.10 
                            OK         -
                    python2X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programm
                    ing language          REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.16 
                            OK         -
                    python-notify        Python libnotify - Python bindings for 
                    the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -        
                          -               OK         -
                    libjpeg              libjpeg - JPEG library                 
                                         REQUIRED        -               -      
                            OK         -
                    sane                 SANE - Scanning library                
                                         REQUIRED        -               -      
                            OK         -

----------------------
                    | Scan Configuration |
                    ----------------------

scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                    
                                         REQUIRED        -               3.19.5 
                            OK         -
                    hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                     
                            OK         'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'

-------------------------
                    | External Dependencies |
                    -------------------------

gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF langua
                    ge interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            
                    9.26            OK         -
                    scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program     
                                         OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.27 
                            OK         -
                    cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System     
                                         REQUIRED        1.1             2.2.10 
                            OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
                    network              network -wget                          
                                         OPTIONAL        -               1.20.1 
                            OK         -
                    policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy frame
                    work                  OPTIONAL        -               0.105  
                            OK         -
                    xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for 
                    SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.999  
                            OK         -
                    dbus                 DBus - Message bus system              
                                         REQUIRED        -               1.12.12
                            OK         -
                    avahi-utils          avahi-utils                            
                                         OPTIONAL        -               0.7    
                            OK         -

---------------------
                    | Python Extentions |
                    ---------------------

hpmudext             IO-Extension                           
                            OK         -
                    cupsext              CUPS-Extension                         
                            OK         -

------------------------------
                    | DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |
                    ------------------------------

device `hpaio:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.100.4' is a 
                    Hewlett-Packard Officejet_Pro_6830 all-in-one

--------------------------
                    | DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
                    --------------------------

No devices found.

---------------------------------
                    | INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
                    ---------------------------------

[B]Officejet_Pro_6830[/B]
                    [B]------------------[/B]
                    Type: Printer
                    Device URI: hp:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.100.4
                    PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Officejet_Pro_6830.ppd
                    [COLOR=#FF54FF][B]warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Officejet_Pro_6830.ppd [/B][/COLOR]
                    ppd file[COLOR=#B218B2]                                                     [/COLOR] 
                    PPD Description:  
                    Printer status: printer Officejet_Pro_6830 is idle. enabled 
                    since Sun 30 Jun 2019 11:58:30 AM IDT
                    Communication status: Good

[B]Officejet_Pro_6830_fax[/B]
                    [B]----------------------[/B]
                    Type: Fax
                    Device URI: hpfax:/net/Officejet_Pro_6830?ip=192.168.100.4
                    PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/Officejet_Pro_6830_fax.ppd
                    [COLOR=#FF54FF][B]warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/Officejet_Pro_6830_fax.[/B][/COLOR]
                    ppd ppd file[COLOR=#B218B2]                                                 [/COLOR] 
                    PPD Description:  
                    Printer status: printer Officejet_Pro_6830_fax is idle. enab
                    led since Sun 30 Jun 2019 11:58:30 AM IDT
                    Communication status: Good

--------------
                    | PERMISSION |
                    --------------

[COLOR=#54FF54][B]No errors or warnings.[/B][/COLOR]

Done.

[/FONT]

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Working...
                      X