This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installion difficulty--Kubuntu won't load from Grub menu

I installed Kubuntu 18.04 to a disk of its own that was all unallocated space. When the partitioner ran, it asked me to select a directory. I chose /: When I went to boot up, I got the GRUB2 menu, chose Kubuntu, and I got a black screen with a cursor, but the HDD was not showing that it was being used. I sat for a good few minutes, and Kubuntu didn't boot. The other programs on the GRUB menu do boot.

From reading here, it appears that I should have chosen some other directory for the installation. Is this correct?

How do I fix this? Should I blast the HDD and reinstall? If so, to what directory?

I went to the Kubuntu manual for help, and it offered nothing on this particular issue; it simply highlighted DiskSpace (or somesuch) as if it were a link, but the link didn't work. In fact, none of the manual links on the GIT Hub site are active.

Did you get past the login, or have auto login set during the install?
    If so, see if you can type alt-f2 and see if that brings up the krunner box. If so, try typing plasmashell and see if that brings up the desktop.

Plasma may have crashed for some reason.

If not, try hitting ctrl-alt-f2 to get to a tty, log in, and try typing in systemctl restart sddm and see what that does. If it does not get you to a login there may be specific error messages that will be helpful.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 22, 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X