This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Keyboard On Log In Screen?

Is this something new, or did I do something to cause this? I now have a virtual keyboard on the screen at log in, which I get rid of by hitting enter. Then I try to log in, and get a message that login failed. But then I can log in OK. Is this something new, where I have to choose my keyboard/language, or did I cause this with my fooling around with settings?

You've given us absolutely no useful information to assist anyone helping you. Which version of Kubuntu?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, I usually post in the 18.04 subforum, but was in a hurry and just posted here.

So, 18.04 is my version. This is new behavior, which is why I wonder if it was the result of an update. Otherwise, I probably did something, but have no idea what it was.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mdiemer View Post
        So, 18.04 is my version. This is new behavior, which is why I wonder if it was the result of an update. Otherwise, I probably did something, but have no idea what it was.
        It's probably something you've done. Now, we just gave to figure out what.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Are you using a custom/older sddm theme?

Support for virtual keyboard was added a while back, but older sddm themes don't know how to handle it (and show it by default instead).

If you wish to keep your theme as is, you can edit /etc/sddm.conf and change:
          InputMethod=qtvirtualkeyboard
          to
          InputMethod=

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have tried out some custom themes. If this is the problem, can I just revert to defaults? It's OK if I have to do some re-configuring after that.

Comment

Originally posted by mdiemer View Post
              If this is the problem, can I just revert to defaults?
              Yes, you can also switch to the default theme (which will only show the virtual keyboard if you click the button in the lower left corner of the login screen).

Making the change to the sddm.conf should disable it for any theme (if the InputMethod key does not exist, you can just add it under the [General] section)

Comment

Thanks Kubicle, I think I'll go with the default settings. Live and learn. You have to learn by doing, and thankfully this place is here to help clean up the messes.

Comment

Well, going back to default didn't work, so I tried the configuration method described by kubicle. In "etc" this is what I found:

[Autologin]
                  Relogin=false
                  Session=
                  User=

[General]
                  HaltCommand=
                  RebootCommand=

[Theme]
                  Current=breeze-514-0.2.3
                  CursorTheme=breeze_cursors

[Users]
                  MaximumUid=65000
                  MinimumUid=1000

I don't see anything about a keyboard. I may not be looking in the right place.
                  Last edited by mdiemer; Jan 08, 2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    (if the InputMethod key does not exist, you can just add it under the [General] section)
                    So change your sddm.conf to:

[Autologin]
                    Relogin=false
                    Session=
                    User=

[General]
                    HaltCommand=
                    RebootCommand=
                    InputMethod=

[Theme]
                    Current=breeze-514-0.2.3
                    CursorTheme=breeze_cursors