• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic kernel driver also swap issue took out my system

I did an update of Radeon ATI Graphics via discover
    And was all ready having promelms with SWAP running system into the ground,
    out of resources. 'A perfect storm" !
    I had to do a hard-reboot.

When I re-booted my Hard drive had errors that I had clear unbounded via Knoppix.

But still I am dropped into Emergency mode command line after boot.

When I "Contol-D" to continue, it loops back to same.

When I try maintance mode, I discover my network config(ifconfig) is out so cannot use APT.

Is this a reinstall job, or is there a better way ?

Please help. thanks.

Had to use my PC, so had to reinstall.

Lesson learned. Linux is only upgradable in theory !
    Every update, should assume it has more than 50% chance of being a reinstall job.

I hope someday updates can be undone more easily,
    with different paths to better survivability instead one one failed loop.

Resource management becomes a bit more sophisticated
    based on dynamic load-changing considerations(eg control of services),
    and not be so rigid as if it were on an embeded device.
    Last edited by sparxz; Nov 27, 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Not sure I follow? You wrote you had problems with your swap file, wouldn’t it be more logical that the crash you saw is because of your swap not working as expected?
      Have you had other updates which failed in the past or how did you arrive at the 50% failure rate? In my two years on Neon/Kubuntu I ran every update as soon as it appeared and never experienced anything similar to what you describe, so my anecdotal evidence would be 0% failure rate.
      Maybe there is something more fundamental which is going wrong? A dying harddrive maybe?

My advice would be to stay away from Discover. Judging by the comments in this forum it seems to be the single largest reason for trouble on Kubuntu and definitely creates a very bad first impression. They should pull it until it’s stable.
      Anyway, use sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade instead.

Comment

Here we go again!
        Discover is not a good path for upgrades.

Repeat until it sticks. If Discover throws a notice for available upgrades, use anything else for the actual upgrade. The command line is so easy in that regard.

And I agree with Thomas00 that something else is going on - possibly a hardware issue. Can we start with a simple analysis of your machine? Open a konsole and enter
        Code:
        inxi -Fxz
        If you do not have inxi, install it
        Code:
        sudo apt install inxi
        then run the query, above. Please copy the output from konsole into a CODE box (the # button, top of the reply box).
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

hmpf
          I ONLY use the updater systray tool to install updates on my Kubuntu box. I must be the only one who doesn't have a problem. The freezes and lockups in the full Discover GUI went away with Plasma 5.12.6, on my end as well

The issue here has little to do with Discover, but low resources and *buntu's proclivity to be overly eager to hit the swap earlier than it should in some systems

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sw...I_change_it.3F

As we don't know much about the OP's system, we can't really tell if there is a problem with the hard drive itself that may be compounding things. or if the system really has enough ram or not.
          The swappiness edit should alleviate the aggressive swap usage a lot , though.

Comment

There are simply too many cases where Discover is acting in the same - not so good - way from different users. It may be a Plasma issue, and it may have been overcome with a Plasma fix, which everyone should have by now. Yet it shows up way too often. Therefore to get around the issue that the user is experiencing, avoid the process that is causing an issue. There are plenty of alternative ways to get to the same result in Linux.

Personally, I don't use any GUI tool to run updates from notifications in Kubuntu. To me, it just seems slower and more awkward. I do use Synaptic to find and install software, because the search and display of the search is more effective within the GUI.
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by sparxz View Post
              I did an update of Radeon ATI Graphics via discover
              And was all ready having promelms with SWAP running system into the ground,
              out of resources. 'A perfect storm" !
              I had to do a hard-reboot.

When I re-booted my Hard drive had errors that I had clear unbounded via Knoppix.

But still I am dropped into Emergency mode command line after boot.

When I "Contol-D" to continue, it loops back to same.

When I try maintance mode, I discover my network config(ifconfig) is out so cannot use APT.

Is this a reinstall job, or is there a better way ?

Please help. thanks.
              So for your SWAP problem, please run the following in a konsole
              Code:
              inxi -Fxz
              The paste the results in a CODE box (the # button) in your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                There are simply too many cases where Discover is acting in the same - not so good - way from different users...

I am stunned the Kubuntu team is letting this go on for so long.

Discover is probably the first application every new user will be pointed to right after the installation completes, and the first thing they will experience is something as fundamental as the default updater is stuck/crashing/not doing anything...pick your error...
                This is exactly what happened to me and I can tell from the many posts here it happens to many others still. Back then I was very close to move on based on the thought that if they can‘t get something this fundamental right I am not interested in the rest...well, obviously I did give it a second chance and I am glad I did :-)

I read a few times that Discover was never meant to be the upgrade tool for Kubuntu, but if that’s true can‘t we just put a simple gui in front of apt get && apt full-upgrade, grab the screen output and display it nicely? And make this the app which launches when updates are available instead of pointing people to the wrong place?
                Or alternatively have Discover start the two app commands behind the scenes instead of failing at reinventing the wheel.

Sorry for the rant but I think Discover is doing this brilliant distribution a great disservice!

Comment

Working...
                X