Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mouse-over application group lists installed programmes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mouse-over application group lists installed programmes?

In Kubuntu 18.04 when I mouse-over an application group I would like the menu to open up to show the applications installed in that group as opposed to the clicking I am having to do. For example, hover mouse over 'Office' group details the listed programmes (Libreoffice, etc.) Is this possible?

What you want is available if you use the Application Menu mode instead of the Application Launcher mode. This is in 18.04 and in 19.04 (KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.4; KDE Frameworks Version: 5.60.0; Qt Version: 5.12.2; Kernel Version: 5.0.0-25-generic):
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chimak111; Aug 15, 2019, 08:22 PM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Found the answer, thanks.

Swap out the default Application Launcher for Excalibur. Right-click on the Kubuntu menu icon, unlock widgets, right-click again, Excalibur is listed in alternatives. Right-click again, Panel Options, and lock widgets.

There's no menu item to get access to Kmenu in Excalibur, but you can type kmenuedit in command-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Iangh View Post
        Found the answer, thanks.

Swap out the default Application Launcher for Excalibur. Right-click on the Kubuntu menu icon, unlock widgets, right-click again, Excalibur is listed in alternatives. Right-click again, Panel Options, and lock widgets.

There's no menu item to get access to Kmenu in Excalibur, but you can type kmenuedit in command-line.
        their is no "Excalibur" in the default "alternatives" selection , did you add that some how ? the functionality you describe is as @chimak111 has posted , achieved by selecting "Application Menu" from the alternatives.

So I see that "Excalibur" is an install able plasma widget and is listed in alternatives AFTER being installed by you , but not a default choice

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          So I see that "Excalibur" is an install able plasma widget and is listed in alternatives AFTER being installed by you , but not a default choice

VINNY
          Thanks for digging that out. As a avid reader of this site, my takeaway is to avoid installing exogenous widgets unless I really really need them (just like I avoid installing browser extensions).
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            Thanks for digging that out. As a avid reader of this site, my takeaway is to avoid installing exogenous widgets unless I really really need them (just like I avoid installing browser extensions).
            well , I was pointing out that the OP had described an easy fix (in their opinion) that would not be available in a default installation and that the "default" way to get a launcher that worked as the OP wanted was the way you described.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
            X