Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incorrect Workgroup Name

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ofconvert
    replied
    aiff to mp3 Converter

    [Content removed by Administrator]
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 05, 2018, 06:01 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Just for completeness sake, the first USB wireless dongle, a cheapo (Realtek), did not connect either. There were instructions for using this in Windows (run setup.exe). Although advertised as suitable for Linux, there were no instructions on how to set it up in Linux. There was a mini-CD installer but it did not enable a wireless connection in my system.

    I also ordered an expensive (to me) ThinkPenguin USB adapter. As soon as this hit the USB port, my wireless network appeared and I could immediately use it to check email, etc. It required no installation, nothing, just Plug & Play.
    It's always the same, you get what you pays for.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    "Home" is just a label dolphin uses for your home directory,
    Well, that's something. Thanks for the information.

    Rather than waste wartnose's and jlittle's time, I am taking the easy way out and have ordered a Linux compatible USB wireless dongle. The signal only has to travel 20 feet across a room to the printer, and I will not be printing huge documents with photos etc.

    Thanks to all for advice and interest.

    John

    Leave a comment:


  • jlittle
    replied
    Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
    But at the top of the left panel, it is Home where Downloads also lives! What a muddle!
    "Home" is just a label dolphin uses for your home directory, which is usually /home/username, in your case /home/howard, but may not be, it could be elsewhere. That label can be changed. I imagine someone at some time thought that by capitalizing it confusion would be less likely...

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    The problem is that you didn't respect case in the specified path. /home and /documents are not the same as /Home and /Documents in Linux. Try again with:

    sudo cp /Home/howard/Documents/brcmfmac4366c-pci.bin /lib/firmware/brcm
    I tried with Downloads instead of Documents but no good.

    Code:
    howard@Snow-White:~$ sudo cp /Home/howard/Downloads/brcmfmac4366c-pci.bin /lib/firmware/brcm
    [sudo] password for howard: 
    cp: cannot stat '/Home/howard/Downloads/brcmfmac4366c-pci.bin': No such file or directory
    howard@Snow-White:~$
    If you look under Root in the second screenshot, the folder is home, and this is where the howard folder containing Downloads is found. But at the top of the left panel, it is Home where Downloads also lives! What a muddle!

    Leave a comment:


  • Snowhog
    replied
    Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
    Thanks. I tried this. In the end it comes down to installing/copying a new .bin file - brcmfmac4366c-pcie. This file is needed instead of
    brcmfmac4366b-pcie. Unfortunately, I could not persuade Kubuntu that brcmfmac4366c-pcie actually existed, much less copy it to the required folder.

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7678[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7679[/ATTACH]

    I wonder if my Kubuntu install is corrupt? Nothing seems to work as it should.
    The problem is that you didn't respect case in the specified path. /home and /documents are not the same as /Home and /Documents in Linux. Try again with:

    sudo cp /Home/howard/Documents/brcmfmac4366c-pci.bin /lib/firmware/brcm

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    I'm very grateful for your patience and interest. Thank you!

    I tried splitting and drag/drop but I got 'access denied'.

    My folders are in a bit of a muddle, I think. /Home/howard/downloads exists, but somehow so does /Home/Downloads.
    brcmfmac4366c-pcie.bin appears in both /Downloads folders.

    These screenshots might help if you are still willing to help me sort this out:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Directory.png
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	643946

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Root_Home.png
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	643947

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Root_home_howard.png
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	643948

    If I open 'howard' here I get the folders/files as shown in the top picture.

    Leave a comment:


  • Snowhog
    replied
    Are you sure that the downloaded file is in 'your' home directory (/home/howard/downloads)? You could, while in Dolphin, click the Split icon to open a second window, make it active and select /lib/firmware/brcm as the directory for that window, then click and drag the file from the other window to the new window. You will be asked for your password to complete the action.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Originally posted by Worzel View Post
    Thanks. I tried this. In the end it comes down to installing/copying a new .bin file - brcmfmac4366c-pcie. This file is needed instead of
    brcmfmac4366b-pcie. Unfortunately, I could not persuade Kubuntu that brcmfmac4366c-pcie actually existed, much less copy it to the required folder.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	linux driver.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	643944 Click image for larger version

Name:	Konsole_output.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	643945

    I wonder if my Kubuntu install is corrupt? Nothing seems to work as it should.

    Leave a comment:


  • Worzel
    replied
    Possible solution - https://blog.cooperteam.net/post/201...wifi-on-linux/

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    It seems that my network card is not compatible with Linux. (ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual Band 802.11ae PCI-E).

    Not sure if this card can be 'tweaked' or if I must forget about printing directly from this PC.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Great stuff! I don't know how you tracked these sites down. I've been looking, but obviously not hard enough. Thanks!

    I connected the printer to the PC with a USB. At least that way the PC can identify the printer. The wireless connection can come later - it will have to because the printer is normally 20 feet away from the PC.

    I ran the downloaded Canon ppd for the ip7200 series but got this: File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups" not available: No such file or directory". I looked for fixes for this and tried one or two but drew a blank.

    The good news is that the default CUPs driver appears to work alright - the test page seemed ok, but that is as far as I have got.

    Ideally, I would like to install the ppd driver but why the error message refers to 'hpcups' is beyond me...
    Last edited by JoHubb; Jul 30, 2018, 05:07 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    IIUC, that's a direct contradiction. If it's not plugged in to the computer that Kubuntu is on, to Kubuntu it's a network printer, because Kubuntu uses the network to reach it.

    IMO the network is usually the best way to use a printer. Even a printer that only has USB can be connected to a home router, but I imagine that's tricky to set up.
    I wrote: It is not a 'network printer' in that there is no CAT5 cable plugged in. This was the context from the previous posting by wartnose. I simply made the point that the printer is on a wireless network.

    Leave a comment:


  • jlittle
    replied
    Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
    ... Canon Pixma ip7250. It is not a 'network printer' ... It is on the wireless network.
    IIUC, that's a direct contradiction. If it's not plugged in to the computer that Kubuntu is on, to Kubuntu it's a network printer, because Kubuntu uses the network to reach it.

    IMO the network is usually the best way to use a printer. Even a printer that only has USB can be connected to a home router, but I imagine that's tricky to set up.

    Leave a comment:


  • wartnose
    replied
    Canon Pixma ip7250


    https://www.canon-europe.com/support...nux%20(64-bit)


    https://askubuntu.com/questions/9366...rint-with-wifi

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X