Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Incorrect Workgroup Name

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JoHubb
    replied
    Originally posted by wartnose View Post
    What model is your printer? If it has a CAT5 cable plugged into a switch or router it is a network printer...or it may be wireless. If it is connected to your computer it is not and you would have to share it. I suspect you have to download and install the correct driver from the Canon website. There are plenty of instructions and You Tubes that tell you how. Interestingly many of them are for Mint so if yours installed automatically on a different Mint computer sounds like you got lucky. I use HP printers since HP supplies HPLip for Linux. Canon drivers may be less robust but I bet you can get it working.
    Thanks again. The printer is a Canon Pixma ip7250. It is not a 'network printer' in that there is no CAT5 cable plugged in.

    It is on the wireless network. Heaven knows which, if any, Canon driver will work for this in Kubuntu. As you say, I might have struck lucky with Mint.

    Hopefully, I will get hooked up in the end, but things aren't going my way at the moment. Our broadband is down yet again (what is it about Virgin and Sundays?). We are now on a backup mobile hotspot - Virgin tech can't get here till Wednesday...wot a lark!

    Leave a comment:


  • wartnose
    replied
    Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
    I am not even sure that my Canon printer is a 'network printer' as such, although I've been using it in a LAN for a long time.

    I did a driver search, the result was that I did not need any proprietary drivers...
    What model is your printer? If it has a CAT5 cable plugged into a switch or router it is a network printer...or it may be wireless. If it is connected to your computer it is not and you would have to share it. I suspect you have to download and install the correct driver from the Canon website. There are plenty of instructions and You Tubes that tell you how. Interestingly many of them are for Mint so if yours installed automatically on a different Mint computer sounds like you got lucky. I use HP printers since HP supplies HPLip for Linux. Canon drivers may be less robust but I bet you can get it working.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Originally posted by wartnose View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean you can't uninstall the Canon driver. Under Settings>>>System Settings>>>Printer, do you see your printer? If so you can delete it and install it again with a different driver.
    Yes, I tried that but I could not understand the options:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-28_22-18-19.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	643938

    I am not even sure that my Canon printer is a 'network printer' as such, although I've been using it in a LAN for a long time.

    I did a driver search, the result was that I did not need any proprietary drivers...

    It wouldn't seem a very difficult ask, that Kubuntu can connect with a standard Canon Pixma printer. I can connect with Mint and W10 on a different PC.
    Last edited by JoHubb; Jul 28, 2018, 03:19 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • wartnose
    replied
    Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
    Mine says Wired1 and a second one (??) says Wired2. I managed to change the name to the correct name, but I might as well have changed it to The Man on the Moon for all the difference it made!

    I can access the printer via the router, get its IP, the status of the connection etc, but LibreOffice still cannot find it. It may be something to do with the driver. I installed the Canon pixma driver and this may be part of the problem. Trouble is I cannot uninstall it and go back to the default Kubuntu driver. At least, I cannot find a way of doing this.

    Thanks for your help, anyways.
    I'm not sure what you mean you can't uninstall the Canon driver. Under Settings>>>System Settings>>>Printer, do you see your printer? If so you can delete it and install it again with a different driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    replied
    Mine says Wired1 and a second one (??) says Wired2. I managed to change the name to the correct name, but I might as well have changed it to The Man on the Moon for all the difference it made!

    I can access the printer via the router, get its IP, the status of the connection etc, but LibreOffice still cannot find it. It may be something to do with the driver. I installed the Canon pixma driver and this may be part of the problem. Trouble is I cannot uninstall it and go back to the default Kubuntu driver. At least, I cannot find a way of doing this.

    Thanks for your help, anyways.

    Leave a comment:


  • wartnose
    replied
    Mine says Wired1. I think WORKGROUP is a Windows default? Right click your network widget and click configure network connections and I think you can change the name but I'm not sure that will fix a network printer issue.

    Leave a comment:


  • JoHubb
    started a topic Incorrect Workgroup Name

    Incorrect Workgroup Name

    My wired LAN network is called WORKGROUP by Kubuntu. This is incorrect. How can I change it?

    I am trying to connect a dual boot PC (W10 and Kubuntu) to my network printer.

    I'd be grateful for advice.

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X