This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Not Working

I installed KDE about a week ago. Now I need to update 131 packages!

When I try to install from the panel, I get a list of the 131 packages which are available. When I 'update all', nothing happens for a while, then:

Error messages flash up briefly, similar to 'E: could not get lock var/lib/...' and 'E: unable to lock the administration directory...'

howard@Snow-White:~$ apt-get -f install
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    howard@Snow-White:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
    [sudo] password for howard:
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    howard@Snow-White:~$

AFAIK I am not root although I installed Samba for file sharing recently. From the terminal I am not on # but $.
    I started off trying to run Rhythmbox but got an error similar to: GStreamer required for this installation. As is the way with Linux, I ended up trying to solve a seemingly different problem

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

I got the same thing this morning when trying to update Kubuntu 18.04. It seems that Discover wants to do the updating, so when I used that program it went OK.

Comment

Thanks, but it is just the same with Discover (18.04).

Comment

Open a Konsole and issue
        sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
        sudo apt update
        sudo apt full-upgrade
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

I ran into trouble at: sudo apt full-upgrade.

howard@Snow-White:~$ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
          [sudo] password for howard:
          howard@Snow-White:~$ sudo apt update
          Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [83.2 kB]
          Hit:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net/eugenesan/ppa/ubuntu bionic InRelease
          Hit:3 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
          Hit:4 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease
          Get:5 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]
          Fetched 158 kB in 1s (236 kB/s)
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          133 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
          howard@Snow-White:~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
          E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
          howard@Snow-White:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
          howard@Snow-White:~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          Calculating upgrade... Done
          E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
          E: Unable to lock directory /var/cache/apt/archives/

I checked with the File Manager and I can open Root. I don't know exactly how I became root as I am pretty sure I have a separate root password which I did not use. I did install Samba recently and there is a red square top left in the File Manager page.

Comment

Let's go one level deeper then:
            sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
            sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
            sudo dpkg --configure -a
            sudo apt -f install
            sudo apt update
            sudo apt full-upgrade
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hmm...not so good. I didn't copy the entire output - pages of it. This is the last section:

Fetched 133 MB in 13s (10.1 MB/s)
              debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable.
              (Reading database ... 224174 files and directories currently installed.)
              Preparing to unpack .../ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6ubuntu2_all.deb ...
              debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
              dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6ubuntu2_all.deb (--unpack):
              new ttf-mscorefonts-installer package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
              Preparing to unpack .../python3-minimal_3.6.5-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
              Unpacking python3-minimal (3.6.5-3ubuntu1) over (3.6.5-3) ...
              Errors were encountered while processing:
              /var/cache/apt/archives/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6ubuntu2_all.deb
              E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Discover still tells me there are 132 files to update.

Comment

IIRC, the ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6ubuntu2_all.deb package opens a console based red, gray and blue GUI that requires you to check "Yes" for M$'s EULA. On my system it popped UNDER the Muon gui and only by luck did I see it. It should have popped on top of other GUI in modal fashion, not modless.

At this point you can repeat these two commands several times
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                sudo apt -f install

or you can delete:

then repeat those commands several times.

A more serious approach would be to delete all the files in
                /var/cache/apt/archives/
                and then do
                sudo apt update
                to rebuild it from the sources.

Comment

It's late with me and I will think more clearly in the morning. Thanks for your help and interest, GreyGeek. I will post here again tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    At this point you can repeat these two commands several times
                    sudo dpkg --configure -a
                    sudo apt -f install

or you can delete:
                    then repeat those commands several times.
                    The Konsole reported permission denied when I tried to delete the /var/cache/apt/archives/ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.6ubuntu2_all.deb file. Oddly enough, when I checked the /var directory it had disappeared.

I then ran the top two commands. These seemed to run their routines normally, but at the end Discover said I still had 129 packages to update. I do not know if these were additional to the original 131, but they installed correctly with Discover.

Thanks again!

Comment

Updating Not Working

Glad to help!

I’m not a fan of Discover. On my system it seems slow to update my repository status and many times the update icon stays in the system tray after it’s done, telling me I have updates.

When I see the update icon I always open a Konsole and issue
                      sudo apt update
                      sudo apt full-upgrade

If, in the list of updates waiting to come down, I see anything relating to kernels, printers, networking or GPUs I choose “n” to abort the update process, switch to root using “sudo -i”, and then I create snapshots of my @ and @home subvolumes. Then I exit root and redo the “sudo apt full-upgrade”, using the up arrow to find that command, then hitting the Enter key. If something breaks and a quick analysis indicates the fix may be involved I do a rollback and wait for future updates to fix things.
                      99% of the time, however, the update is golden.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 13, 2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X