This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Office] Office files content indexing

Hey guys. New guy to Linux desktops here. Been trying different distros and desktops environments in the last month or so. So far love Ubuntu on KDE (Kubuntu). Would use it as main OS hands down, but cant find a way to get office files content indexed. I really need this to work and is something Windows does as default (even indexes content of files attached to emails).
    I activated the "search file content" option on Baloo settings, but only works with simple files, like txt or so, not with libre office / MS office files like odt, xlsx, docx, etc. Is there a way to index the content of office files on Kubuntu? Or any other way to make office files content searchable from file manager?

I do not know. I have many pdf, txt, .doc, epub, and odt files, and a small number of docx, and I can definitely search by content and find results from them. Maybe it takes a bit longer to go through everything?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180618_193757.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	643888

Comment

Originally posted by shinigamian View Post
      Hey guys. New guy to Linux desktops here. Been trying different distros and desktops environments in the last month or so. So far love Ubuntu on KDE (Kubuntu). Would use it as main OS hands down, but cant find a way to get office files content indexed. I really need this to work and is something Windows does as default (even indexes content of files attached to emails).
      I activated the "search file content" option on Baloo settings, but only works with simple files, like txt or so, not with libre office / MS office files like odt, xlsx, docx, etc. Is there a way to index the content of office files on Kubuntu? Or any other way to make office files content searchable from file manager?
      There exists an application called "tracker". It also has a GUI and other components. All are in the repository.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	tracker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	643889
      Try it out. IF it fits your criteria then great, otherwise give DocFetcher a try, links below.

Tracker is described here:
      https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/P...direct=Tracker

DocFetcher is here:
      http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

It's not in Neon's repository but it may be in Bionic's. Regardless, a zip file download is available:
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/doc...e.zip/download

The readme.txt in the zip file states:
      Linux:
      Launch the program by double-clicking on DocFetcher-GTK2.sh or
      DocFetcher-GTK3.sh. The difference between these two scripts is that
      DocFetcher's user interface will be based either on GTK2 or on GTK3. With some
      desktop environments, only GTK2 works, while with some others, only GTK3 works.

Thus, you'll have to try one script, and if DocFetcher doesn't start or the GUI
      is behaving strangely, you'll have to try the other script.

If with either script DocFetcher doesn't start or a text editor shows up, make
      sure the executable flag has been set on the respective file. If that doesn't
      work either, you might see a helpful error message if you start the script from
      from the terminal.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Also, it might be worth trying to reindex files ?
        https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Also, it might be worth trying to reindex files ?
          https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration
          I think he tried that:
          I activated the "search file content" option on Baloo settings, but only works with simple files, like txt or so, not with libre office / MS office files like odt, xlsx, docx, etc.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No problem here searching within a .doc file using baloo.

Maybe post the contents of ~/.config/baloofilerc?.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thank you for your help guys!. Actually figured out the problem. It's only indexing content of new created/copied files, not existing ones. Didn't find an option for that on ~/.config/baloofilerc, but no brainers. Just overwrote all my documents and problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by shinigamian View Post
                Thank you for your help guys!. Actually figured out the problem. It's only indexing content of new created/copied files, not existing ones. Didn't find an option for that on ~/.config/baloofilerc, but no brainers. Just overwrote all my documents and problem solved.
                That's not been my experience: files I created years ago are indexed both by name and content.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                X