Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the package manager on new installation of Kubuntu 17.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the package manager on new installation of Kubuntu 17.04?

I have been away for a while due to medical issues. I can't remember much of the operation of a Kubuntu application. I had to install K17.04 and am unable to find many things I used to use. I can't find a package manager and the system will not install Synaptic. How do I add applications. Sudo apt-get install doesn't seem to work. Did I forget to include something in the command. Any help would be appreciated.

Volume is too low. Yakuake will not install. An application required Firefox to be updated or upgraded. Package is Tar.bz2. I do not remember how to install. Need and cannot find USB Creator KDE. This is basic stuff and I cannot remember how to do or use.

Thanks! Shab

You might be better off doing a clean install of Kubuntu 18.04 LTS, the latest, as I believe 17.04 is no longer supported. 18.04 comes with Muon Package manager, which works fine for me. There's also Discover, which is not quite as good but is graphical and easy to use, though a little slower.

Comment

oldgeek gave you the best advice!

And, while you are at it, at the partition stage create a single partition /dev/sda1, mark it "/" and give it to Btrfs.
      If you want to use suspend then reduce the size of sda1 by the size of your RAM+10%, and make /dev/sda2 a swap partition.

PS: after you install 18.04 also install muon, the KDE partition manager. Synaptic was my first choice but most of the bugs are out of muon and it doesn't pull in a lot of GTK+ libraries and utilities.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 08, 2018, 02:55 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Have you tried:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install synaptic
        ?

And with the past few LTS releases, the sage advice is to do a clean install rather than an upgrade install. So, yes, installing 18.04 would be better. BTRFS is your choice, if you feel so inclined. GG and Oshunlvr approach it with almost a religious ferver!
        Last edited by jglen490; Jun 08, 2018, 02:56 PM.
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I downloaded 18.04 LTS, but I am having trouble making a bootable USB. I downloaded unetbootin, but it has necessary files that are missing. I couldn't find the KDE version either.

My memory (mind) is lacking since a few stays in the hospital. Fighting hard to stay above ground.

Any ideas how I can format and create a bootable USB?

Thanks for the current help, I thought I forgot everything. Bad luck installing K17.04.

Shab
          Last edited by Shabakthanai; Jun 08, 2018, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Plug in a USB stick at least 8GB or bigger.
            In a Konsole use
            sudo -i

To see what the drive letter is use
            df
            find your usb drive. Make sure the drive you identify is NOT your system HD (usually /dev/sda) but something like /dev/sdb or sdc ... Notice the size. It should be close to the size of the USB stick you are using. IF it is bigger then it is NOT your USB drive, look some more at the df listing.

sudo dd if=/home/path/to/kubuntu1804/iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M status=progress
            sync

don't forget the sync, and /dev/sdX is the location of your USB stick, i.e., /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc
            Do not use a partion number, like /dev/sdb1. If you do it won't boot.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hi friend, if I understand correctly, I should make my boot partition approximately 36gb using Btrfs, because my ram is 32gb, is that right? Then, make /dev/sda2 my swap partition. What size should my Swap partition be?

Since my use of the computer is less, should I use the balance of my 256gb drive as the /home partition? Will that be enough, or should I use a gb drive for /home? I mistakenly used the UEFI feature of my motherboard before making previous OS's, a thing I would like to change in the K18.04 installation. I don't remember how to do this, can you help? I am told UEFI is a Microsoft feature with problems.

In my current installation, I attempted to install Synaptic using the command sudo apt-get install synaptic, but the computer could not find it.

After installing K18.04, will the command work to install Synaptic? And is Muon installed automatically, or where do I find the package? No package manager was included in my K17.04 installation.

I like and want to install VLC player too, and had problems with the installation in K17.04. I also prefer Yakuake for konsole. And is the package available in K18.04 to increase volume past 100%? Volume at Max was too low in K17.04.

Thanks Pal

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

And, while you are at it, at the partition stage create a single partition /dev/sda1, mark it "/" and give it to Btrfs.
              If you want to use suspend then reduce the size of sda1 by the size of your RAM+10%, and make /dev/sda2 a swap partition.

PS: after you install 18.04 also install muon, the KDE partition manager. Synaptic was my first choice but most of the bugs are out of muon and it doesn't pull in a lot of GTK+ libraries and utilities.

Comment

Is this the instruction to make a bootable USB3?

When I use Dolphin to locate the USB3 stick I want to format and use for K18.04, it is listed on the left side of the Dolphin screen as Kubuntu 17.04.

If your instruction is to format and install the new OS on that Stick, I am unfamiliar with your comment "don't forget the sync, and /dev/sdX is the location of your USB stick, i.e., /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc
                Do not use a partion number, like /dev/sdb1. If you do it won't boot." Additionally, my copy of K18.04 is in the Downloads folder of Dolphin, if that makes a difference.

If after you read my reply, you see that I am getting too confused, please advise how to get back to a better point of understanding. Sorry to be so stupid, but since my recent visits to the hospital, I have slipped a bit more.

I really want and need a functioning computer, if just to have access to news and perhaps a movie to keep me company.

Thanks for your patience and kindness. Without a computer there isn't even a voice in the room. Shab

Plug in a USB stick at least 8GB or bigger.
                In a Konsole use
                sudo -i

To see what the drive letter is use
                df
                find your usb drive. Make sure the drive you identify is NOT your system HD (usually /dev/sda) but something like /dev/sdb or sdc ... Notice the size. It should be close to the size of the USB stick you are using. IF it is bigger then it is NOT your USB drive, look some more at the df listing.

sudo dd if=/home/path/to/kubuntu1804/iso of=/dev/sdX bs=1M status=progress
                sync

don't forget the sync, and /dev/sdX is the location of your USB stick, i.e., /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc
                Do not use a partion number, like /dev/sdb1. If you do it won't boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  Hi friend, if I understand correctly, I should make my boot partition approximately 36gb using Btrfs, because my ram is 32gb, is that right? Then, make /dev/sda2 my swap partition. What size should my Swap partition be?
                  As you install, when you get to the HD partition panel, first, select "Manual Partition", not the automatic default partition. Then set your /dev/sda1 partition to be your TOTAL disk size MINUS the 34GB for the swap. You can adjust your /dev/sda1 partition until the "remaining unused size" is about 34Gb. Then set "/" as the label and change EXT4 (which is selected by default) to Btrfs. Then select the remaining unused raw partition, which should be 34GB or larger, and set it to be a swap partition. Then proceed with the installation.

Since my use of the computer is less, should I use the balance of my 256gb drive as the /home partition? Will that be enough, or should I use a gb drive for /home? I mistakenly used the UEFI feature of my motherboard before making previous OS's, a thing I would like to change in the K18.04 installation. I don't remember how to do this, can you help? I am told UEFI is a Microsoft feature with problems.
                  Don't do any other partitioning other than creating /dev/sda1 at about 222GB, and /dev/sda2 at about 34GB or slightly higher. Btrfs will take care of createing @ ("/") and @home ("/home"). With Btrfs you don't have to break up your drive into partitions. IF you didn't need a swap file to allow suspending even it wouldn't be necessary. I don't use or have a swap file.

In my current installation, I attempted to install Synaptic using the command sudo apt-get install synaptic, but the computer could not find it.

After installing K18.04, will the command work to install Synaptic? And is Muon installed automatically, or where do I find the package? No package manager was included in my K17.04 installation.

I like and want to install VLC player too, and had problems with the installation in K17.04. I also prefer Yakuake for konsole. And is the package available in K18.04 to increase volume past 100%? Volume at Max was too low in K17.04.

Thanks Pal
                  I wouldn't install Synapatic. Muon (muon in the repository) is good enough. Discovery is a picture show. Muon is better.

VLC is in the repository.

Comment

I still have the problem of creating a bootable USB3 for my K18.04 distribution. I have a 32gb USB3 drive that presently contains the K17.04 package that I have installed. I do not remember how to format that stick so that I can put K18.04 in it.

Since unetbootin does not contain all the needed files, how do I make a bootable USB3? Thanks.

Comment

You can down Etcher following these instructions:

Add Etcher debian repository: (Note: the following command should be on one line):
                      Code:
                      [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=1]echo "deb [URL]https://dl.bintray.com/resin-io/debian[/URL] stable etcher" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/etcher.list
                      [/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Trust Bintray.com’s GPG key:
                      sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61

Update and install:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      sudo apt-get install etcher-electron

To uninstall later, if you want to:
                      sudo apt-get remove etcher-electron
                      sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/etcher.list
                      sudo apt-get update

Then plug in your USB stick, fire up Etcher, make sure the USB stick is selected, and then navigate to your Kubuntu 18.04 iso file and select it. Then click "Flash!"
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 09, 2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

steven@mydesktop:~$ [echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/resin-io/debian stable
                        I copy and pasted and got the following result. Is something wrong, or should I know how to proceed and do not know how to proceed?

etcher" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/etcher.list
                        [sudo] password for steven: No command '[echo' found, did you mean:
                        Command 'aecho' from package 'netatalk' (universe)
                        Command 'echo' from package 'coreutils' (main)
                        [echo: command not found

Originally posted by GreyGeek

Add Etcher debian repository: (Note: the following command should be on one line):

[echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/resin-io/debian stable etcher" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/etcher.list

Update and install:
                        sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get update

Then plug in your USB stick, fire up Etcher, make sure the USB stick is selected, and then navigate to your Kubuntu 18.04 iso file and select it. Then click "Flash!"

Comment

that shoud be "package" ,,,,,,,typo GG

VINNY

oops seams I did not read on long enough
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

steven@mydesktop:~$ [echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/resin-io/debian stable
                            I copy and pasted and got the following result. Is something wrong, or should I know how to proceed and do not know how to proceed?

etcher" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/etcher.list
                            [sudo] password for steven: No command '[echo' found, did you mean:
                            Command 'aecho' from package 'netatalk' (universe)
                            Command 'echo' from package 'coreutils' (main)
                            [echo: command not found
                            You didn't copy the ENTIRE line, including the pipe command part, before you pasted it. Notice my comment to copy the ENTIRE line, which I made because I thought the forum software might break the line into two parts and you would use only the first part, which is what happened and is what you did.

However, there was a typo in that line: the "[" should not have been there, so I edited the post to remove it, AND, I put that line in code brackets instead of quote brackets, so it would remain as one line.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 09, 2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

steven@mydesktop:~$ sudo apt-get install etcher-electron
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree
                              Reading state information... Done
                              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                              or been moved out of Incoming.
                              The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                              etcher-electron : Depends: gconf2 but it is not installable
                              Depends: libappindicator1 but it is not installable
                              Depends: libpango1.0-0 but it is not installable
                              E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Is this fixable?

Code:
                              [FONT=courier new][B][SIZE=1]echo "deb [URL]https://dl.bintray.com/resin-io/debian[/URL] stable etcher" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/etcher.list
                              [/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Update and install:
                              sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get update

Comment

Working...
                              X