This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help?

I'm humbly trying to transfer my personal archives from Kubunto to an external HD, but Dolphin says "they're archives and they're supposed to be files" and does nothing.

I'm stuck. Help.

You can use a program called Grsync to make your backups. I prefer it because it doesn't compress the files. Just make sure you go into settings and select to run as root option. Another program is Lucky Backup which will do the same thing as Grsync. You wil also need to do the setup to run as root.

Comment

NICE thread!!

woodlikesitsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by autobee View Post
        I'm humbly trying to transfer my personal archives from Kubunto to an external HD, but Dolphin says "they're archives and they're supposed to be files" and does nothing.

I'm stuck. Help.
        Are you trying to use the drag & drop feature of Dolphin? Your home account directories and files are usually owned by you and Dolphin has no problems dragging and dropping them from one place to another in your home account. An external HD *may* have been formated as root and thus is owned by root, and Dolphin won't be able to do that kind of drag & drop. Unfortunately the devs, for security reasons, have blocked "kdesudo dolphin" (running it as root). What I do, and it is a lot faster, is to open a konsole, "sudo -i" to get root permissions, and run mc (Midnight Commander, it's in the repository). It is a console based app and is very fast. It has to panels. Set the left one to the source drive and the right one to the destination drive. Left click on the directories and files you want to copy over, and then hit the F5 key. Select "preserve attributes" so that ownership and permissions are retained. (It's faster because mc doesn't have to progress update a GUI, which is slower than progress updating a console.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X