X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] New to Kubuntu 18.04 asking for guidance and Help

Hi,
    My LM17.3 computer died and I am not happy with LM18.3 and the fact there is no more LM KDE support. I have decided to jump to Kubuntu as I like KDE

After reading rumors that KDE is going to end I would like to know if KDE, or more specifically Kubuntu is going to be around for awhile to come?

Also.
    I am having lots of issues with 18.04, it appears very buggy. I am needing a more stable version. I looked at 17.10 but it's LTS expires in July 2018, and 16.xx & 14.xx expire in 2019.
    Q- Which Stable version of Kubuntu would be recommended 16 or 14 ?
    Q- Of this will it be easy to upgrade to 18 (when it becomes more stable or when LTS is about to expire) ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I am very busy ATM due to old PC being fried and having to carry on without it, and trying to setup new... You get the idea, I hope.

Thanks
    Charlie

18.04 shouldn't be buggy, even though it is newly released. Please give us information about the PC you have it installed on, and the issues you are experiencing.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
      Hi,
      My LM17.3 computer died and I am not happy with LM18.3 and the fact there is no more LM KDE support. I have decided to jump to Kubuntu as I like KDE

After reading rumors that KDE is going to end I would like to know if KDE, or more specifically Kubuntu is going to be around for awhile to come?

Also.
      I am having lots of issues with 18.04, it appears very buggy. I am needing a more stable version. I looked at 17.10 but it's LTS expires in July 2018, and 16.xx & 14.xx expire in 2019.
      Q- Which Stable version of Kubuntu would be recommended 16 or 14 ?
      Q- Of this will it be easy to upgrade to 18 (when it becomes more stable or when LTS is about to expire) ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I am very busy ATM due to old PC being fried and having to carry on without it, and trying to setup new... You get the idea, I hope.

Thanks
      Charlie
      Good luck with the new PC, maybe new hardware can solve some woes.

KDE is not going away. LM decided not to make use of KDE anymore - leaving that to Kubuntu, it's in xenopeek's blog.

As Snowhog said 18.04 shouldn't be "buggy", although there may be occasional issues. Follow Snowhog's request for more specifics on your issues with Bionic. I use 16.04 and am very happy with its stability, but I will be going to 18.04 once the first bug release (18.04.1) comes out in late July. That's just my pattern. Come on back when you get a chance with some info that we can work on with you.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Not sure what issues you are having but I'm running Kubuntu 18.04 on an HP Envy backup laptop and it runs great, I think its better than 16.04, I had issues with that one. Running it in dual monitor and works pretty nice, what are your issues, a lot of people here can help.

hpenvy@hpenvy-HP-Notebook-PC:~$ screenfetch
        ./+o+- hpenvy@hpenvy-HP-Notebook-PC
        yyyyy- -yyyyyy+ OS: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
        ://+//////-yyyyyyo Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.0-22-generic
        .++ .:/++++++/-.+sss/` Uptime: 5h 13m
        .:++o: /++++++++/:--:/- Packages: 2189
        o:+o+:++.`..```.-/oo+++++/ Shell: bash 4.4.19
        .:+o:+o/. `+sssoo+/ Resolution: 3286x1080
        .++/+:+oo+o:` /sssooo. DE: KDE 5.44.0 / Plasma 5.12.5
        /+++//+:`oo+o /::--:. WM: KWin
        \+/+o+++`o++o ++////. WM Theme: Honeycomb
        .++.o+++oo+:` /dddhhh. GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
        .+.o+oo:. `oddhhhh+ Icon Theme: breeze
        \+.++o+o``-````.hdhhhhh+ Font: Noto Sans Regular
        `+++ `ohhhhhhhhyo++os: CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M @ 4x 3.1GHz [90.0°C]
        .o:`.syhhhhhhh/.oo++o` GPU: intel
        /osyyyyyyo++ooo+++/ RAM: 1802MiB / 7865MiB
        ````` +oo+++o\:
        `oo++.
        hpenvy@hpenvy-HP-Notebook-PC:~$

I have Kubuntu 16.04/Win10 on 2 desktops and one laptop (all have the same issues with Kwin and Discover crashing but still fairly stable), Kubuntu 14.04/Win10 on another laptop and Kubuntu 14.04 on my office laptop. I've tried a majority of distros and DE's and the closest thing I like is Cinnamon, I really like the KDE environment.

Comment

Charlie, my guess is that your ISO has a bad checksum or your USB stick (or LiveCD) does. You should check them.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yep My problem. I removed that comic strip thing and binary clock, and it completely crashed the OS.
            I am amazed at the quality junk installed. I have had to reinstall the entire thing.

new problem on new install. Whenever I click on a new usb device or optical disc, I get the following error

An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The device is already mounted: Device /dev/sde1 is already mounted at `/media/zyx/SomeDrive'

But when i click on it the 2nd time, it works fine as in opens Dolphin.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
              . Whenever I click on a new usb device or optical disc, I get the following error

An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The device is already mounted: Device /dev/sde1 is already mounted at `/media/zyx/SomeDrive'

But when i click on it the 2nd time, it works fine as in opens Dolphin.
              A known problem, affecting many of us; some kind of race condition AFAICT. A fix is in a pipeline somewhere.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi CharlieDaves Welcome to Kubuntu Forums,

You still have not given us any information on your machine. It would be helpful in trying to figure out what's going on. Kubuntu 18.04 is one of the best releases yet and is very stable on most machines.
                Please give us the info requested.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Clayman1000x View Post
                  Not sure what issues you are having but I'm running Kubuntu 18.04 on an HP Envy backup laptop and it runs great, I think its better than 16.04, I had issues with that one. Running it in dual monitor and works pretty nice, what are your issues, a lot of people here can help.

hpenvy@hpenvy-HP-Notebook-PC:~$ screenfetch
                  ./+o+- hpenvy@hpenvy-HP-Notebook-PC
                  yyyyy- -yyyyyy+ OS: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
                  Try
                  Code:
                  screenfetch -nN
                  You may get cleaner output for posting here.

Instead of screenfetch, you could try installing inxi and posting the output of inxi -Fxz.
                  Last edited by chimak111; May 28, 2018, 03:57 AM.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                    Try
                    Code:
                    screenfetch -nN
                    You may get cleaner output for posting here.

Instead of screenfetch, you could try installing inxi and posting the output of inxi -Fxz.
                    That was allright thank you, learn something new everyday, looks better for posting yes.

hpenvy@hpenvy-HP-Notebook-PC:~$ screenfetch -nN
                    hpenvy@hpenvy-HP-Notebook-PC
                    Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.0-22-generic
                    Uptime: 10m
                    Packages: 2189
                    Shell: bash 4.4.19
                    Resolution: 3286x1080
                    DE: KDE 5.44.0 / Plasma 5.12.5
                    WM: KWin
                    WM Theme: Honeycomb
                    GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
                    Icon Theme: breeze