Locked desktop icons scattered on re-boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked desktop icons scattered on re-boot

My Kbuntu 22.04.4 LTS system has been functioning normally, but suddenly a fault has occurred. I use Folder View on the desktop. On booting the arranged and locked icons are scattered on the desktop, and the folder containing the icons is expanded vertically with a scroll bar on the right side. Not all the icons are visible as there is at least one row above or below the screen. The scroll bar does not move the wallpaper, only the folder layer containing the icons. What do I need to do to fix this abnormality.

The problem seems to be caused by something re-writing/corupting two files:

.config/plasmashellrc and .config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

If I arrange the icons and then change the properties of these two files to view only and re-boot, I get a black screen with a message to saying:

Configuration file .congig/plasmashellrc not writable

When I press OK the desktop wallpaper appears, which is followed by the folder view with the icons miss-arranged, and then the icons reset to the correct positions.

What is corrupting these files??​

Comment

Originally posted by johngx View Post
      The problem seems to be caused by something re-writing/corupting two files:

.config/plasmashellrc and .config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

What is corrupting these files??​

.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc has a complex structure, and in my experience once corrupted it stays that way. (I have once got it working by deleting lots of stuff, such as removing panels, but it wasn't worth it.)

I suggest renaming those files, so that plasma starts again. This will lose a lot of plasma settings. A problem is that plasma might rewrite them when you log out; a way around this is to log out, then press ctrl-alt-f3 to get a text console, where you can log in and carefully rename the files using the mv command; then ctrl-alt-f2 gets back to the graphical log in.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
      X