Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken Source Breaking Discover (And my ability to install things!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Broken Source Breaking Discover (And my ability to install things!)

Mandatory information:
    Kubuntu version 23.10
    KDE Plasma version 5.27.8
    Kubuntu is installed on my PC alongside Windows 10
    can't install inxi!! oops!!

So I tried to install LibreWolf browser when I first installed Kubuntu, only to find out it doesn't work for some reason so I got firefox instead. Now, every time I open Discover, I get a bunch of errors something like this:
    E: Malformed entry 1 in sources file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.sources (Suite)
    E: The list of sources could not be read.

​I went to the LibreWolf site and followed the instructions for removing the browser from my system (I like firefox now so I'm not trying to get the browser working or anything, I want it gone), but I still get the same error when I open Discover (or, as I found out just now trying to install inxi, try to install something through the terminal). Looking around my system files I discovered there's still a file called librewolf.sources that wasn't deleted for some reason, which I think is causing the issue, but I ran the command to delete that file a couple times now and it's still there. I'm not sure what to do now; help would be appreciated. I'm very much still learning how to use this system, I'm basically brand new. I don't know much about computers at all beyond basic usage. I appreciate any help you can offer, but please, explain it to me like I'm ten years old, because I am, in fact, Stupid.

Originally posted by cifge404 View Post
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.sources
    So, delete the source file listed in the error message: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.sources​, which is the first item in the LibreWolf removal instructions.

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.sources

Either their instructions are wrong, or a little bit unclear.

But, you are running Kubuntu 23.10, and the instructions do say:
    Attention. We only build LibreWolf for Debian 11/12, Ubuntu 20/21/22 and Mint 20.2/20.3/21. If you don't use one of those distros, the above commands will install the Ubuntu 20 build for you which may or may not work. If you want to manually choose a different distro's build, then change the first of the above commands to point at that distro. E.g. to install the Debian 11 build, run distro=bullseye.​

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      So, delete the source file listed in the error message: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.sources​, which is the first item in the LibreWolf removal instructions.

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/librewolf.sources

Either their instructions are wrong, or a little bit unclear.

But, you are running Kubuntu 23.10, and the instructions do say:
      Okay, thank you! it seems to have worked this time, so I guess I was typing the command wrong or something, I'm not sure. Thanks <3

Comment

Working...
      X