This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu kde plasma gliched?

Hello all, i oice something wierd this desktop environment (KDE Plasma) that happened to install updates but i don't know what programs needed to update, but is about ~40 maybe is including the kde, when i starting the kubuntu i get something black and white stuff, can't explain for text, is short video to explain : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnAB4BzUIU also is working everything okay (effects of icons starting programs, maximize etc) but i don't have a desktop and not working right click on desktop, yes i searched on google about solution all solutions is relate with kscreen and something. but not working that, i reinstalled the whole kde plasma environment (checked is removed) about 3 times, no affect, i don't know why, here is all informations.
    What release of Kubuntu you are using.
    Code:
    [COLOR=#FF5454][B]DISTRIB_RELEASE=[/B][/COLOR]17.10
    What version of KDE you are using.
    Code:
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.12.4
    KDE Framworks Version : 5.44.0
    Qt Version: 5.9.1
    What version of Grub you are using.
    Code:
    grub-install (GRUB) 2.02~beta3-4ubuntu7.3
    What other Operating Systems are installed.
    Windows 10 (is for temporary is another partition but im tinking to move kubuntu..
    Also maybe you need kernel.
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace]4.13.0-38-generic[/FONT]

• Type Desktop
    • CPU Intel,64-bit(I3-7100)
    • GPU HD 630 INTEL
    • RAM 8gb drr4
    • HDs one hd 1tb internal, none external.
    • Optical Drives one internal.

Also i tried to start plasmashell but is show only errors, maybe that help pretty good.
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/vHKHyqhGTN/
    Thank you for helping, please don't attack is ubuntu or something, because im still new.

You don't have a working KDE desktop.
    Rather than reinstalling it, I would purge it first, then reinstall it.

Open a terminal and
    sudo -i
    to become root.
    Then purge plasma-desktop
    apt purge plasma-desktop
    Make sure /home/youraccountname/.kde has been deleted.
    vdir ~/.kde
    If that command shows anything then
    rm -R ~/.kde

Now, re-install the plasma desktop
    apt install plasma-desktop

Then, reboot
    reboot

If you can successfully log into your home account (not root!) using your name and password, then you can start adding other KDE apps and other applications that you want to use.

The alternative to the above approach is to re-download the ISO, verify its checksum value, reburn it to a USB or CD, boot from that USB or CD, and reinstall, over writing the partition you used previously to install Kubuntu.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      You don't have a working KDE desktop.
      Rather than reinstalling it, I would purge it first, then reinstall it.

Open a terminal and
      sudo -i
      to become root.
      Then purge plasma-desktop
      apt purge plasma-desktop
      Make sure /home/youraccountname/.kde has been deleted.
      vdir ~/.kde
      If that command shows anything then
      rm -R ~/.kde

Now, re-install the plasma desktop
      apt install plasma-desktop

Then, reboot
      reboot

If you can successfully log into your home account (not root!) using your name and password, then you can start adding other KDE apps and other applications that you want to use.

The alternative to the above approach is to re-download the ISO, verify its checksum value, reburn it to a USB or CD, boot from that USB or CD, and reinstall, over writing the partition you used previously to install Kubuntu.
      Thank you for replying, so i tried this 2 commands but "vdir ~/.kde" is failed because
      Code:
      vdir: cannot access '/root/.kde': No such file or directory
      also about reinstalling i like that, but maybe for saving my time to moving that why i posted a topic here to save time moving.
      also skip that part don't solve

EDIT
      I tried 2 times i checked that vdir /home/myusername/.kde that make to show files, so i tried to delete, installed rebooted and is not solved..

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Hacker View Post
        Thank you for replying, so i tried this 2 commands but "vdir ~/.kde" is failed because
        Code:
        vdir: cannot access '/root/.kde': No such file or directory
        also about reinstalling i like that, but maybe for saving my time to moving that why i posted a topic here to save time moving.
        also skip that part don't solve

EDIT
        I tried 2 times i checked that vdir /home/myusername/.kde that make to show files, so i tried to delete, installed rebooted and is not solved..
        I wrote "Make sure /home/youraccountname/.kde has been deleted"
        Notice that the path is /home/youraccountname/.kde" Youraccountname is usually your login name.

Everything I gave you in the previous msg was part of the solution. Skip a step and you might as well not even begin.
        You have to be root to do the commands and root can do anything, but the "~/" is a shortcut for "/home/youraccoutname/"
        As root, that means "/root/", which is NOT what you want because it is while you are trying to run KDE in your home account, as YOU, (not root) that you are having problems.

In other words, I write "r, -R /home/youraccount/.kde" and you do "rm -R root/.kde". See the problem. I write one thing and you do another. That will never work.

I suspect that some of your home account files have been converted to root:root ownership, or was deleted, when something you did blew up on you.

And, by wandering off and doing things willy-nilly I really don't have a clue now as to the actual state of your system. Your shortest path to solving your problem may just be to reinstall from your LiveUSB or LiveCD.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 18, 2018, 09:55 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

@Greygeek:
          Plasma5 does not store any user data/configuration in $HOME/.kde anymore (it that directory exists, it's there only for compatibility with KDE4 applications if some of those have been installed). Instead, Plasma5 stores it's user configuration, application data and temporary data in ~/.config, ~/.local/share and ~/.cache, respectively (as per the XDG Base Directory Specification). To purge plasma configuration, one could run "rm -r ~/.config/plasm*".

To me, the issue seems more like a graphical (maybe driver or compositor) issue, plasma seems to be functional underneath (according to the video, apps launch when using krunner, for example) even though the graphics are messed up.
          Last edited by kubicle; Apr 19, 2018, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I wrote "Make sure /home/youraccountname/.kde has been deleted"
            Notice that the path is /home/youraccountname/.kde" Youraccountname is usually your login name.

Everything I gave you in the previous msg was part of the solution. Skip a step and you might as well not even begin.
            You have to be root to do the commands and root can do anything, but the "~/" is a shortcut for "/home/youraccoutname/"
            As root, that means "/root/", which is NOT what you want because it is while you are trying to run KDE in your home account, as YOU, (not root) that you are having problems.

In other words, I write "r, -R /home/youraccount/.kde" and you do "rm -R root/.kde". See the problem. I write one thing and you do another. That will never work.

I suspect that some of your home account files have been converted to root:root ownership, or was deleted, when something you did blew up on you.
            And, by wandering off and doing things willy-nilly I really don't have a clue now as to the actual state of your system. Your shortest path to solving your problem may just be to reinstall from your LiveUSB or LiveCD.
            Fine, i did same way "I tried 2 times i checked that vdir /home/myusername/.kde that make to show files, so i tried to delete, installed rebooted and is not solved.." that mean i deleted on my home folders, also i explained corrected that happened updating the system and i manually restarted for no reason,

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
            @Greygeek:
            Plasma5 does not store any user data/configuration in $HOME/.kde anymore (it that directory exists, it's there only for compatibility with KDE4 applications if some of those have been installed). Instead, Plasma5 stores it's user configuration, application data and temporary data in ~/.config, ~/.local/share and ~/.cache, respectively (as per the XDG Base Directory Specification). To purge plasma configuration, one could run "rm -r ~/.config/plasm*".

To me, the issue seems more like a graphical (maybe driver or compositor) issue, plasma seems to be functional underneath (according to the video, apps launch when using krunner, for example) even though the graphics are messed up.
            you are right but im here to fix a mess graphical issue for future people don't have also why plasmashell crashed? also i tried to install another desktop environment one light and don't have this problem, so is something bug?

Comment

I wrote “/Home/yourusername/...” because I don’t know what your actual account name is. Replace the “yourusername” part with your actual username.

Kubical, I surmised a possible graphical issue as well. And, I wasn’t aware that KDE5 didn’t use ~/.kde like KDE4 does. Thanks for the heads up.

My suggested solution was to delete ~/.Xauthority and Reboot. If that didn’t work then purge plasma-desktop and reinstall it. Then, that didn’t work, and knowing Plasma was good, we could work on the display issues.

Comment

I wrote “/Home/yourusername/...” because I don’t know what your actual account name is. Replace the “yourusername” part with your actual username.

Kubical, I surmised a possible graphical issue as well. And, I wasn’t aware that KDE5 didn’t use ~/.kde like KDE4 does. Thanks for the heads up.

My suggested solution was to delete ~/.Xauthority and Reboot. If that didn’t work then purge plasma-desktop and reinstall it. Then, that didn’t work, and knowing Plasma was good, we could work on the display issues.
                Fine, is failed, none solution worked, i reinstall the whole OS, thank you HOME partition saved alot time :/ maybe closing the topic?

Comment

Working...
                X