X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Hanging at 65 Percent While Configuring Hardware

Hey everyone!

I decided to swap my Acer netbook over to Kubuntu after Windows updates got too big for it and it couldn't/wouldn't clear the old ones out. I've installed Kubuntu over Windows using a live USB and everything seems to be working (haven't tried audio or video, to be honest), but the progress bar in the installation window still reads "Configuring hardware... 65%" after about two hours.

I checked in the Driver Manager and it said I don't need any special drivers, so I don't know what's the matter. Any ideas?

My Specs:
    • Kubuntu 16.04.
    • Don't know what version of KDE I'm using. Checking the About KDE blurb didn't have a version number.
    • Grub 0.97
    • WIndows 10 was originally on the laptop
    • Acer laptop (Spin)

• Intel Celeron CPU N3350 @ 1.10GHz, can be either 32-bit or 64-bit
    • Intel Corporation Device 5a85 should be the GPU
    • 4 GB RAM
    • 1 Internal Hard drive
    • 0 Optical Drives

Hanging at 65 Percent While Configuring Hardware

I recall a problem like that where the installation was hanging at a certain percentage (95% was one). IIRC, it was a bad ISO a/o a bad burn. Did you checksum the ISO before you burned it and the Live media afterwards?

If the checksums are ok then it could be hanging up trying to connect to your WiFi. Boot the Live media and instead of taking the install option boot the media. Once you have a desktop make sure you have a. Network connection (Ethernet cable or WiFi). Then, click the install icon on the desktop or from the KDE menu.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 04, 2018, 12:20 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I hadn't because I hadn't had any issues with the download process itself. No hang ups, interruptions, disconnects, etc.

Seems I should remake the stick?

Comment

Originally posted by technowitch View Post
        I hadn't because I hadn't had any issues with the download process itself. No hang ups, interruptions, disconnects, etc.

Seems I should remake the stick?
        Bad downloads rarely reveal themselves by visible behavior problems with your browser. ALWAYS checksum your ISO downloads AND your burned media.

Do
        sha256sum Nameof.iso

and use the checksum on the menu of the Live media. If the first is bad redo the download. If the Live media is bad Reuben the ISO.

If neither is bad the follow the last paragraph in my post above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Bad downloads rarely reveal themselves by visible behavior problems with your browser. ALWAYS checksum your ISO downloads AND your burned media.

Do
          sha256sum Nameof.iso

and use the checksum on the menu of the Live media. If the first is bad redo the download. If the Live media is bad Reuben the ISO.

If neither is bad the follow the last paragraph in my post above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Alright so I tried the command you gave me and it didn't work, so I grabbed Microsoft's FCIV and ran that. The hash for the download doesn't match so I'm figuring that one's the source of my issues since the Live media said everything was peachy, so I'll have to redownload the iso and reburn the stick. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Didn't realize Windows 10 also had Powershell and preferred using that, so I'm trying the original command in that rather than the Command Prompt I knew Windows had. Will edit again if it's still no dice.

Comment

Your welcome!

On Kubuntu/Neon you should have both md5sum and sha256sum. Sha384sum and sha512sum are waiting in the wings in case sha256sum gets compromised.

sudo updatedb
            locate sha256sum
            /usr/bin/sha256sum
            /usr/share/man/man1/sha256sum.1.gz

sha256 check sums are more secure than md5 check sums, but md5's are better than nothing.

Both md5sum and sha256sum are part of coreutils, which is automatically installed when you install Ubuntu or any of its derivatives, including Kubuntu & Neon. Coreutils also includes all of the most used utilities in Linux.

Code:
            /bin/cat
            /bin/chgrp
            /bin/chmod
            /bin/chown
            /bin/cp
            /bin/date
            /bin/dd
            /bin/df
            /bin/dir
            /bin/echo
            /bin/false
            /bin/ln
            /bin/ls
            /bin/mkdir
            /bin/mknod
            /bin/mktemp
            /bin/mv
            /bin/pwd
            /bin/readlink
            /bin/rm
            /bin/rmdir
            /bin/sleep
            /bin/stty
            /bin/sync
            /bin/touch
            /bin/true
            /bin/uname
            /bin/vdir
            /usr/bin/[
            /usr/bin/arch
            /usr/bin/base32
            /usr/bin/base64
            /usr/bin/basename
            /usr/bin/chcon
            /usr/bin/cksum
            /usr/bin/comm
            /usr/bin/csplit
            /usr/bin/cut
            /usr/bin/dircolors
            /usr/bin/dirname
            /usr/bin/du
            /usr/bin/env
            /usr/bin/expand
            /usr/bin/expr
            /usr/bin/factor
            /usr/bin/fmt
            /usr/bin/fold
            /usr/bin/groups
            /usr/bin/head
            /usr/bin/hostid
            /usr/bin/id
            /usr/bin/install
            /usr/bin/join
            /usr/bin/link
            /usr/bin/logname
            /usr/bin/md5sum
            /usr/bin/md5sum.textutils
            /usr/bin/mkfifo
            /usr/bin/nice
            /usr/bin/nl
            /usr/bin/nohup
            /usr/bin/nproc
            /usr/bin/numfmt
            /usr/bin/od
            /usr/bin/paste
            /usr/bin/pathchk
            /usr/bin/pinky
            /usr/bin/pr
            /usr/bin/printenv
            /usr/bin/printf
            /usr/bin/ptx
            /usr/bin/realpath
            /usr/bin/runcon
            /usr/bin/seq
            /usr/bin/sha1sum
            /usr/bin/sha224sum
            /usr/bin/sha256sum
            /usr/bin/sha384sum
            /usr/bin/sha512sum
            /usr/bin/shred
            /usr/bin/shuf
            /usr/bin/sort
            /usr/bin/split
            /usr/bin/stat
            /usr/bin/stdbuf
            /usr/bin/sum
            /usr/bin/tac
            /usr/bin/tail
            /usr/bin/tee
            /usr/bin/test
            /usr/bin/timeout
            /usr/bin/tr
            /usr/bin/truncate
            /usr/bin/tsort
            /usr/bin/tty
            /usr/bin/unexpand
            /usr/bin/uniq
            /usr/bin/unlink
            /usr/bin/users
            /usr/bin/wc
            /usr/bin/who
            /usr/bin/whoami
            /usr/bin/yes
            /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/coreutils/libstdbuf.so
            /usr/sbin/chroot
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 04, 2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Your welcome!

On Kubuntu/Neon you should have both md5sum and sha256sum. Sha384sum and sha512sum are waiting in the wings in case sha256sum gets compromised.

sudo updatedb
              locate sha256sum
              /usr/bin/sha256sum
              /usr/share/man/man1/sha256sum.1.gz

sha256 check sums are more secure than md5 check sums, but md5's are better than nothing.

Both md5sum and sha256sum are part of coreutils, which is automatically installed when you install Ubuntu or any of its derivatives, including Kubuntu & Neon. Coreutils also includes all of the most used utilities in Linux.
              Huh! How weird.

I ended up using a Windows utility someone made to check the SHA-256 for the original download file and so long as the tool's accurate, it's actually a match (will double-check with the info you just gave me to be sure.) Not sure how to run the check against the Live stick, though, since I don't have a hash to check it against and the built-in defect checker came back as everything A-OK.

The menu it boots to before going into Kubuntu proper gives me:

*Start Kubuntu
              *OEM Install (for manufacturers)
              *Check disc for defects

Originally, I had gone through Start Kubuntu and tried installing it that way. I've managed to get it connected to my WiFi, so now I'm not sure if it's my WiFi causing problems or there actually is something wrong with the stick, but it can't find it.

Comment

"Check disk for defects" is the option that does the check sum of the Live whatever, so your Live stick passed. That means you are good to go for installing.

Comment

"Check disk for defects" is the option that does the check sum of the Live whatever, so your Live stick passed. That means you are good to go for installing.
                  Oh perfect. I'll give it another go. Worst comes to worst, I'll head over to my local coffee shop or library and use their WiFi if I'm still having issues just in case mine's screwy.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                  X