Remote access to Kubuntu desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote access to Kubuntu desktop

I haven't used Linux since the late 90s when I had a web server in my basement that I ran headless using VNCserver. I installed Kubuntu on an old PC because I want to run PizInsight, an astrophotography program, on it. But I want to leave it in the basement and access from my Windows 11 desktop in the kitchen. I am having trouble gettimg anything to work. It doesn't help that I have forgotten almost everything I used to know.

I tred tight vncserver and launched an instance with a password but when I tried to connect to my ip address I just got "error" in the viewer screen. I looked online and saw a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about using VNC but I don't know if that is a current problem. I saw that Google has ported Chrome Remote Deaktopmto Linux. I tried that and it downloaded a debian package but my installer says it can't match the dependencies.

I assume people are remotely accessing Kubuntu desktops. Does anyone know of a simple solution I should try? Will I need to run it under SSH or something (which, of course, I no longer know how to set up)?

Remote desktop is much less common these days. But still has its uses, for sure.

Use KRFB, KDE's own remote desktop server. It is easy and basic and quick
    Then use a VNC viewer to connect

I am using it right now from my Windows work machine to reply from my Linux desktop using whatever VNC viewer showed up first in my web search --realVNC viewer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231125_155837-2.png
Views:	353
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	675472

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Remote desktop is much less common these days. But still has its uses, for sure.

Use KRFB, KDE's own remote desktop server. It is easy and basic and quick
      Then use a VNC viewer to connect

I am using it right now from my Windows work machine to reply from my Linux desktop using whatever VNC viewer showed up first in my web search --realVNC viewer

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20231125_155837-2.png Views:	18 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	675472
      Thanks. It works great. I set it to enable unattended access, which works fine until I restart. Then, even though I set KRFB to run at startup, I have to physically logon to the Linux box before I can access it remotely. This is not a big deal since I am usually home, but I suppose it could become an issue if I am on vacation. I wasn't planning to set up port forwarding and SSH (I did those years ago, but I will leave that be this time around) but if I needed to access the Linux box, I could go through the Windows machine which is setup for Chrome Remote. Bit of a kludge but...

At any rate, if I want it to startup and actually be accessible to me when the machine reboots, could I do it with a script? Or by setting it to startup in a terminal and pass the password to it there? Or am I clearly clueless enough that I should leave well enough alone for now?

I have to say, the KDE Plasma desktop is nice. And PixInsight, of course, runs well in its native environment.

Edit: My details:
      Kubuntu 23.10
      Plasma 5.27.8
      This is the sole OS on the PC
      PC has 12GB RAM, Intel i5 2.20 Ghz processor​

Comment

Depending on your router, you really shouldn't need to forward ports for ssh. Just install openssh-server, then install putty on Windows, and bob's yer uncle for local access.
        Some routers have built-in vpn servers, like my reasonably priced TP-Link, and I have used that for remote access to my home network on occasion. Easier than setting up a dynamic dns thingy, and opening holes from outside, etc.

You should be able to set KRFB as an autostart application, and also set an autologin for Kubuntu as well. Both of these can be done via System Settings.

Otherwise, play with 'normal' VNC servers. Some more info (that may be a little outdated in spots) https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers
        Commonly used VNC software overviews and some info on setting them up.

Comment

Working...
        X