This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simon Installation on Kubuntu

I was using Ubuntu and was able to install Simon from the software center there. I have moved over to Kubuntu and the repository does not seem to be available and I cannot find sound installation instructions to get it properly installed on Kubuntu. I attmepted to install from source but does not show up on my system. Does anyone have know how to get the simon repository added in Kubuntu as it is in Ubuntu and/or able to give detailed installation instructions for Kubuntu so I can get it fully installed and working again?

You don't say what version of Kubuntu you are using but here in K14.04 I have Simon in the repository. You should be able to install it from the terminal (Konsole) using "sudo apt install simon".

Or, if you install Muon package manager (better than Muon Discover) you should be able to find it there. It may not be available in later versions of Kubuntu but you didn't say what version you are using.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

My apologies, I am in Kubuntu 17.10. I will give the muon package manager a go.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Simon was removed from the 17.10 repositories, before 17.10 was released.

The KDE 4 version in the repos failed to build with openCV 3.1 that was required for other things, and there was no apparent fix for this by KDE developers. The Qt5/KF5 port of Simon was (and still is) unfinished and unreleased, so there was no new release to replace it with.

6 month laters, the situation has not changed,
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
        X