Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create desktop link to java application?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create desktop link to java application?

I'm using kubuntu 23.10 and am new to KDE although not Linux. I have a java application which runs from the command line using 'java -jar /path/to/app/application.jar'. I've tried, unsuccessfully thus far, to create a link on the desktop so that I can run the application by simply clicking an icon. The steps I've carried out are:

1. right-click on desktop and Create New/ Link to application
    2. In the General tab, choose an icon and add application name in the field 'Link to Appication'
    3. In the Permission tab, check the 'Is executable' box
    4. In the Application tab, add the text ''java -jar /path/to/app/application.jar' to the Program field.

However, when I click on the icon in the desktop to launch the app, nothing happens. I've tried checking the 'Run in terminal' box in the Applications tab, but it makes no difference. I don't think this is relevant anyway because the application isn't text-based, it has a GUI.

I guess an alternative would be to create an entry in the start menu and then I could right-click and 'Add to Desktop'. This would actually be preferable because then there would be two ways to launch the app.

Any help appreciated.

(This changed recently, perhaps with 23.04.)

The "Program" "field", as you call it, should have just "java", and the "Arguments" would be "-jar /path/to/app/application.jar" in your example.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X