No announcement yet.

Is there not an update tutorial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Is there not an update tutorial?

As a new Linux user, I'm learning my way around the system so I can dump Microsoft for good. I chose Kubuntu for its features and ease of use (I'm a tech geek but the Darling Bride is technologically declined). I'm running 23.04 right now but I can't find an option, anywhere in the settings, to update the system to 23.10.

Is there not a simple "here's what to do and how to do it, in this order" tutorial for new Kubuntu converts like me? Thanks!

Upgrade notifications aren't always turned on immediately on release day, and it does take time for the vast number of mirrors to fully sync up.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...grades/Kubuntu

This is usually linked to from the official announcement, which Kubuntu haven't actually done yet.

This page IS linked to in the Release notes found in the downloads page.

I can't say why someone hasn't posted an announcement on Kubuntu org yet.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Upgrade notifications aren't always turned on immediately on release day, and it does take time for the vast number of mirrors to fully sync up.

This is usually linked to from the official announcement, which Kubuntu haven't actually done yet.

May I ask, does the 23.10 upgrade work with Nvidia proprietary drivers? Does one have to wait until Nvidia catches up? If so, is there a info source to learn that from? Thank you again for teaching us these things.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
        May I ask, does the 23.10 upgrade work with Nvidia proprietary drivers? Does one have to wait until Nvidia catches up? If so, is there a info source to learn that from? Thank you again for teaching us these things.
        No, nothing needs to be done for Nvidia afaik. That doesn't mean nvida is pain-free, necessarily, and I don't use their GPUs any longer.
        Others with relevant experience can chime in on that topic.

if anything, 23.04's NVIDIA will be more ahead on Mantic than on 23.04/22.04, not sure what you mean by "catch up".

Comment

No, nothing needs to be done for Nvidia afaik. That doesn't mean nvida is pain-free, necessarily, and I don't use their GPUs any longer.
          Others with relevant experience can chime in on that topic.

if anything, 23.04's NVIDIA will be more ahead on Mantic than on 23.04/22.04, not sure what you mean by "catch up".
          Discovery wanted to update Ubuntu Studio 22.04.52 to .53 and then .56. I allowed it, (thinking it might be a problem) but finally went ahead with my curiosity, when it did upgrade there was only one generic graphics driver available which made the resolution large, can't remember exact resolution I was stuck with. It would not allow me to use any of the old kernels. Downgrading back seemed impossible, so I reinstalled, and used my backups to fix it. I studied on it a long time and learned a lot, but could never really put together, how that Nvidia driver and this kernel upgrade got out of "sync" the way it did. It seemed there was only one driver that would work. Ubuntu Studio is (low latency) and if I'm understanding you correctly, Nvidia drivers on Kubuntu do not have that issue.

Comment

Thanks, I guess at some point the entire update process can be done without the command line. Until that happens, I think the average computer user is going to shy away from Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTim View Post
              Discovery wanted to update Ubuntu Studio 22.04.52 to .53 and then .56

Plasma Discover has nothing to do with Ubuntu OS version upgrades whatsoever. 23.04 install upgrading to 23.10, for example.

And what the heck is Ubuntu Studio 22.04.52? Ubuntu Studio is a separate distro, or Ubuntu Flavour, like Kubuntu and Xubuntu are, and going off that version, is 22.04 LTS, which will not see an OS version upgrade until 24.04. Irrelevant to the discussion in this thread.

Comment

Agreed, they are two different species. I am learning the differences in upgrading Kubuntu and Ubuntu, now I feel more comfortable with upgrading Kubuntu and removing Snap. (I should of posed the extended question in a different place)

Comment

Deffo confusing
                  Normally:
                  update=installing security fixes and individual software packages with minor version bumps
                  kernel 6.2.0.33 to kernel 6.2.0.34, or Plasma 5.27.7 to 5.27.8, etc, et al, ad infinitum
                  Daily, weekly stuff.

upgrade= MAJOR software version change, or migrating to a completely new core OS release (which includes the software stack as well)
                  Kernel 5.15.0 to Kernel 6.2.0, or Plasma 5.26 to 5.27. (K)Ubuntu 23.04 to 23.10
                  Every 6 months for non-LTS *buntu
                  Every two years (or more) for LTS releases, with regular kernel upgrades on the desktop after the first year.

Comment

Working...
                  X