Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easytether - dependencies

Hi,

I just installed 23.04 on a Dell 3189 Chromebook. I wish I'd done that a long time ago instead of using a distro that didn't support its hardware. Oh well.

Anyhow, I'm trying to install Easytether, which worked under the old Debian 11-based distro, and I'm getting

easytether depends on libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0); however:
    Package libssl1.1 is not installed.
    Cursory reading suggests trying to get it to work by installing libssl1.1 is a bad idea. What can I do? Thanks​

Easytether needs to update their stuff, assuming that they are still around.

This has been an issue in *buntu since after 20.04. .
    No idea how safe it is, but it should still work in 23.04. Maybe.

Is this still necessary today? What phone are we tasking about here? There *may* be other options.

Comment

I have the latest in a long line of Samsung phones I've used with Easytether, mostly tethered to a Windows laptop. The usual use case is to share the phone's data without regard to the carrier. I also like the USB connection.

I may end up installing the dependency and hoping it's harmless.

Comment

Is it Samsung that prevents USB tethering or your provider?
        Just curious, as it has been at least 10 years since I've had to use Easytether. It's a reason why I got into phone rooms for a while. Verizon was preventing things for me.

Comment

I have an ancient, grandfathered T-Mobile plan. I don't remember what the restrictions are, but I use ET to get around them. I've also had the odd LG phone or two among all the Samsungs and it worked fine on them, too.

Edit: I got the package from http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/o/openssl/ and all is well.
          Last edited by mtrac; Sep 23, 2023, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtrac View Post
            I have an ancient, grandfathered T-Mobile plan. I don't remember what the restrictions are, but I use ET to get around them. I've also had the odd LG phone or two among all the Samsungs and it worked fine on them, too.
            I was more curious if the carrier was preventing USB tethering, or the phone itself. usually the carrier.
            Last time I looked (some time ago mind you) all the majors allowed at least WiFi tethering if not USB tethering. But things do change, and providers do merger, etc.

Verizon was the one that didn't at the time iirc, but that was 10 or so years ago, with more restricted data amounts as well I think.
            When I was looking at switching, t-mobile had a limit on high-speed tethering speeds, then after that, it was unlimited 3G speeds, something along those lines.
            So, I was just wondering if it is even necessary to use the software at all, to hopefully be able to have one less hassle. But I ain't diving in to all the mobile plans and their individual nuances and restrictions

Comment

Working...
            X