X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autostart x11vnc server at X server startup

Hi y'all,

I finally took the plunge and reinstalled a fresh Kubuntu 16.04.3 system, after having used Ubuntu 10/12/14.04 for a few years.
    As a heavy user of Kontact+Owncloud, this was the most logical choice for me and is the best reason to use a KDE-based system.

But I am having trouble recreating my x11vnc server setup from my Ubuntu machine in Kubuntu. The following x11vnc.conf file worked fine in U14.04, but doesn't anymore in KU16.04.
    I spent a quite a few google pages in searching for a solution, but failed.
    I would appreciate if someone here could point me in the right direction. The x11vnc server should start automatically when the login screen shows, so that I can connect remotely to my machine via VNC client.
    Thanks in advance!

Failing code in /etc/init/x11vnc.conf

start on login-session-start
    script
    /usr/bin/x11vnc -auth guess -display :0 -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900 -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -forever -bg -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
    end script

I already tried "start on desktop-session-start", but this also does not work.

When I manually sudo the command in a shell after logging in, the command itself and VNC access works fine.
    So I am just chasing for the right init signal here, and fail to find it. :-(

First, welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net.

In your searching, did you come across this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VN...28Vivid.2B-.29
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog's link had this:

Have x11vnc automatically start in Kubuntu

One may create a startup script using nano, or kate, or KWrite:

nano ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vncstart.sh

In it put the following line:

x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth /home/USERNAME/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5900 -shared

replacing USERNAME with your account name, and make it executable using the Konsole or Dolphin:
      chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vncstart.sh
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 07, 2018, 06:55 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks all! Will try the solutions from the links.

Comment

Well, unfortunately I was not successful yet.
          I tried the two methods exactly as given in the recommended link.
          1) Have x11vnc start automatically via systemd in any environment (Vivid+)
          2) Have x11vnc automatically start in Kubuntu

Both do not successfully start x11vnc automatically at KDE desktop login (or earlier, which would be fine too).
          Any idea what might be wrongly configured on my system?
          :-(

Comment

Someone started a thread about a similar problem in the alt.os.linux.ubuntu newsgroup.
            He is using Ubuntu 18.04 and can't get it to work.
            You might want to read the ideas offered.

Comment

Working...
            X