[solved] added a new nvme, can not start Kubuntu anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] added a new nvme, can not start Kubuntu anymore

Hello! I have just put in a 2nd nvme drive and now Kubuntu can not be started anymore.

When I boot the drive where kubuntu is on it wont start the OS after telling that the gpu in the cpu is disabled. The cursor keeps blinking and it stops there.
    Kubuntu is on the sdc5.

NAME FSTYPE SIZE M LABEL
    sda 465,8G
    ├─sda1 ntfs 464,3G Win-SSD
    ├─sda2 vfat 100M
    └─sda3 ntfs 546M
    sdb 465,8G
    ├─sdb1 16M
    ├─sdb2 ext4 149,2G
    ├─sdb3 vfat 16G IPM
    └─sdb4 ext4 300,6G /
    sdc 232,9G
    ├─sdc1 ext4 111,4G Kub-Data
    ├─sdc2 swap 17,1G
    ├─sdc3 vfat 513M
    ├─sdc4 1K
    └─sdc5 ext4 103,9G Kubuntu
    nvme1n1 931,5G
    ├─nvme1n1p1 ext4 500G M.2-L
    └─nvme1n1p2 ntfs 431,5G M.2
    nvme0n1 1,8T
    └─nvme0n1p1 ext4 1,8T M.2-2TB

​How can I get Kubuntu to boot again?

I have tried all the options in the recovery mode.
    - repair broken packets
    - check all filesystems
    - update grub

After finishing and choosing "load Kubuntu" it shows the mouse cursor for a few seconds but does not load. After that moving the mouse cursor shows ": : : : :" on the screen instead of a mouse cursor.

When I restart it then it keeps stopping after recognizing the disabled gpu in the cpu.

edit: I just mentiioned it now says it is starting vmlinuz 6.1.0-1015-oem which seems wrong. It did that after repairing the broken packets.
    How can I fix this to show the right boot packet again?
    Last edited by Fred-VIE; Jul 16, 2023, 04:09 PM.

Using the new nvme drive disabled two sata ports. Thats why my Kub-drive was not active.
    Last edited by Fred-VIE; Jul 18, 2023, 12:08 PM.

Comment

To check the UEFI side of things and display the UEFI's boot entries one can use efibootmgr -v .
      See efibootmgr --help and man efibootmgr for further options and instrucions.

PS: You also seem to use a kernel that is not the stock one ("6.1.0-1015-oem")…
      Nvidia graphics card? Then perhaps search the forum, because there have been problems with Nvidia GPUs and the (unwanted) installation of additional kernels in the past months.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 17, 2023, 02:36 AM. Reason: added PS & typos
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        PS: You also seem to use a kernel that is not the stock one ("6.1.0-1015-oem")…
        Nvidia graphics card? Then perhaps search the forum, because there have been problems with Nvidia GPUs and the (unwanted) installation of additional kernels in the past months.
        I am pretty sure this is the problem but the question is now, howto get rid of those unwanted kernels who came with the repair on boot when I can not get in anymore. Would I need to boot from USB but even then, how do I get rid of the wrong ones on the drive and the right ones on it?

I avoided those weird kernels on updates by ignoring those updates until they where gone in the OS but when I went for the repair option I did not get a choice and ofc that was the day when such faulty kernel updates where available.

That efi command response is: "efi variables are not supported on this system. Error trace:"
        Last edited by Fred-VIE; Jul 18, 2023, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X