[SOLVED] Impossible to launch from desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, all looks as it should.

When you right-click on the text file, do you see "Open with Kate", and if you click on that, does the file open in Kate as expected?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes to both questions

Comment

So, all permissions are correct. Right-clicking and selecting the offered action to open with the appropriate application is working, you just can't double-click on the Desktop item and have it open in the appropriate app.

Open System Settings > File Associations and search on text. Scroll down and click on x-katefilelist. In the General tab, under Application Preference Order, is Kate shown and the first item in the list?

Comment

Yes again
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230619_224702.png
Views:	67
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	671570

Comment

Originally posted by andreaconsole View Post
            While mimeapps.list is empty.
            On the 23.04 where I'm typing this, .local/share/applications/mimeapps.list is empty, but .config/mimeapps.list has 82 entries. I think it only exists and gets entries if file associations have been changed by the user.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

This is the content of ~/.config/mimeapps.list

Code:
              [Added Associations]
              inode/directory=org.kde.dolphin.desktop;org.kde.gwenview.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;

[Default Applications]
              inode/directory=org.kde.dolphin.desktop;
              text/html=firefox_firefox.desktop
              x-scheme-handler/mailto=opera.desktop​

Comment

You might be experiencing the notorious wslu 'bug'.

This is the solution of the problem: uninstall the package named "wslu" from your system and the shortcuts on your desktop will immediately work again when you double-click them.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...u/+bug/1971757
                Ref: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...n_doubleclick/ [scroll down to the answer from Time-Lack-9367]

Comment

Thanks a lot Snowhog ! Problem solved! I'm amazed by the wonderful support from this community.

Comment

Originally posted by andreaconsole View Post
                    I'm amazed by the wonderful support from this community.
                    Ahh, you're making me blush! hehe

You're very welcome. We are here to help in any way we can. We sometimes take a while to arrive at the solution; there is almost ALWAYS a solution; but we do our best.

I hope you continue to find our forum a helpful place to belong.

Comment

Working...
                    X