No announcement yet.

Can't get KDE Connect remote input to work from desktop to phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Utilities] Can't get KDE Connect remote input to work from desktop to phone

Hello, lovely Kubuntu community!

As part of my long-term quest to abandon GAFAM, I've thought reasonable to leverage my Moto G200 5G's bundled Ready For USB-to-HDMI cable (given that there's no support for Ready For on Linux and the cable is far more efficient in terms of framerate and response time, anyways) on my dual HDMI monitor. And so I thought to myself that I could perhaps leverage KDE Connect's remote input feature in order to use my mouse and keyboard with that desktop interface.

However, upon testing it, I've found out that no dot or cursor appears in my phone's HDMI signal nor in the phone's screen itself, no matter how much I move the mouse. Keyboard input also doesn't work, either.

Is there any way I can try to fix this issue? Perhaps provide any logs that you might want to request?

Thanks in advance!

KDE Connect doesn't support mouse capture on the phone, as far as I can recall or find. Android limitations, perhaps? Remote keyboard requires you to switch your device keyboard to KDE Connect. Then, you will see a text input area in the systray applet. very similar to the SMS input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230609_093208.png
Views:	603
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	671345

On my Android 13 phone, I have no option on the device in KDE Connect for remote mouse from the desktop.
    On my Android 8 phone, I have more settings a permissions option for receiving mouse input, but the desktop app has no settings to send them.

I actually used my previous phones' desktop mode (LG V30 and V60) connected to a monitor or TV somewhat regularly. But I also use a Bluetooth mouse and a wired/bt keyboard that support multiple devices specifically for multi-device usage. I am not even sure if KDE Connect has ever really supported this, even tho there are settings for this - much like the "Photo" option.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      KDE Connect doesn't support mouse capture on the phone, as far as I can recall or find. Android limitations, perhaps? Remote keyboard requires you to switch your device keyboard to KDE Connect. Then, you will see a text input area in the systray applet. very similar to the SMS input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230609_093208.png
Views:	603
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	671345

On my Android 13 phone, I have no option on the device in KDE Connect for remote mouse from the desktop.
      On my Android 8 phone, I have more settings a permissions option for receiving mouse input, but the desktop app has no settings to send them.

I actually used my previous phones' desktop mode (LG V30 and V60) connected to a monitor or TV somewhat regularly. But I also use a Bluetooth mouse and a wired/bt keyboard that support multiple devices specifically for multi-device usage. I am not even sure if KDE Connect has ever really supported this, even tho there are settings for this - much like the "Photo" option.
      That's quite unfortunate to know. Alas, I'm currently looking into an alternative in the form of scrcpy.

Comment

Working...
      X