Synaptic all of a sudden switched to Japanese UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Synaptic all of a sudden switched to Japanese UI

I've just installed Kubuntu LTS. The current locale is English, but I've added two more languages (Japanese and Italian) in order to be able to write in these languages too.

But, all of a sudden Synaptic started to appear in Japanese, while the rest is in English. No problem, but I'm just curious why this is happening. By the way, in the Konsole the sudo password prompt too is in Japanese, while the Konsole UI is in English and I've removed Japanese as a fallback languages.

Any suggestion, please?

Welcome!

I presume you installed Kubuntu 22.04 LTS?

What does locale say in Konsole?

What are your settings in -> System Settings -> Personalization -> Regional Settings -> Language and in -> Formats?
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 10, 2023, 05:20 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

You don't need to install Japanese language packs to type in Japanese, that's only if you want the system to be in the J language. Usually all you need to install is fcitx-mozc.
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Thank you!

I presume you installed Kubuntu 22.04 LTS?
        Yes.
        What does locale say in Konsole?
        [HTML]LANG=en_US.UTF-8
        LANGUAGE=en_US:it:en_US:it:ja
        LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_NUMERIC=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_TIME=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_MONETARY=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
        LC_PAPER=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_NAME=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_ADDRESS=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_TELEPHONE=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_MEASUREMENT=ja_JP.UTF-8
        LC_IDENTIFICATION=ja_JP.UTF-8[/HTML]

The, under Settings, Configure Language:
        Primary language: English
        Fallback language: Italian
        What are your settings in -> System Settings -> Personalization -> Regional Settings -> Language and in -> Formats?
        The default language here is American English, all the rest is Japanese.

Maybe the solution would be to remove the Japanese and Italian locales in Regional Settings, as suggested by Beerislife. Actually, I was not sure whether in order to type Japanese I had to install the Japanese locale too, but if this is not necessary i will be glad to remove it.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
          You don't need to install Japanese language packs to type in Japanese, that's only if you want the system to be in the J language. Usually all you need to install is fcitx-mozc.
          Many thanks! This was indeed my initial doubt, but I ended up installing the Japanese locale too because in the forum of a different distribution I read that it is necessary step in order to type in Japanese. I will remove the unnecessary locales, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Cerutti View Post
            Maybe the solution would be to remove the Japanese and Italian locales in Regional Settings, as suggested by Beerislife. Actually, I was not sure whether in order to type Japanese I had to install the Japanese locale too, but if this is not necessary i will be glad to remove it.
            After removing the Japanese and Italian language pack, Synaptic and Konsole returned to the default and only locale (English).

Thanks!

Comment

I didn't mention this earlier, because I thought it wouldn't be helpful, but a similar glitch occurred to me on 20.04 I think, except it was French. The problem affected GTK apps; synaptic is one such, and for me I use vim most days all day, and seeing "Aide", "Aucun nom", and "-- VISUEL LIGNE --" was weird.

This has happened to others, see
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/..._bash?p=667137
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X