X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launching a terminal if GUI crashes

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Linux and I'm trying to learn how to use it. Once I went asking a question to some Linux wizard about some elementary problem I had and at some point he used a keyboard shortcut and made a terminal appear on the screen. He told me that it was useful when the graphical interface crashes and I agreed. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the short-cut and now the wizard is gone. I tried to find it back later, but I find everywhere that the keyboard shortcut to open a terminal is Ctrl+Alt+t but for me nothing happens when I type these keys.
    I have a Swiss Key-board with ``German (Switzerland)" Layout and ``French (Switzerland)" variant. I guess that it's not so common in the world, but at the same time it's not supposed to be super fancy, in the sense that I didn't do anything very involved to have this as I remember. In Switzerland it's quite common. I think it was installed this way when Kubuntu was installed on my computer.

So my question is: if the graphical interface crashes, how do I open a terminal to try to fix this?

This question is quite important to me since I will try to switch from one GPU to the other (I have two on my computer) and fear that something goes wrong in the middle.

Here is a description of my machine:

Kubuntu release: 16.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.5.5
    Qt Version: 5.5.1
    Kernel version: 4.4.0-104-generic
    OS-type 64-bit
    Grub version: Version: 0.97-29ubuntu68
    Other operating system: windows 10
    Laptop: Lenovo T460p
    CPU: 8 x Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    GPU: when I type the command recommended in the post mentioned above I obtain:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics (rev 06)
    but according to the website where I bought my computer I'm supposed to have: Nvidia GeForce 940MX + Intel HD 530.
    RAM: 16 GB
    Hard Drives: 512 GB SSD S-ATA

you can at any time ,,,press ctrl+alt+F6 ,,,or any F key from 6 to 1 to get a TTY (text console) you will half to log in .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Adding to what Vinny said: To get back to the GUI from a full screen terminal session you need to press Ctrl+Alt+F7.

I just checked in my Kubuntu 16.04 VirtualBox machine and it appears the Ctrl+Alt+t (Run Konsole) is disabled by default. Don't know how I didn't notice that before. To turn it on go into System Settings, Workspace, Shortcuts click on "Custom Shortcuts", click on the box beside "Examples" to enable them and expand the "Examples" dropdown list. Click on the "Run Konsole" box to enable the terminal shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+t). You can change the shortcut combo by clicking on the "Trigger" tab, clicking in the box and typing a new keystroke sequence.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks a lot to both of you Vinny and Rod J. Your explanations were very clear and solved my problem! Have a nice day!

Comment

Working...
        X