X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find help button in Dolphin

Hello Everyone

I'm completely new to this forum and only recently switched from windows to linux. I will try my best to be precise in my questions. I read in this page :
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...W-GUY-lt-lt-lt
    that to find which KDE version we are using, we can do ``Press Alt+F2 then type dolphin then click on Help > About KDE". But I didn't find any help button. I managed to find which version of Kubuntu I have but I'm curious about this help button. Does anyone know if it is because something changed since the post mentioned above has been written?
    After some efforts I managed to do a print screen but I don't know how to upload it in this message (I'm sorry, I'm really totally new).

Here are the informations concerning my machine:

Kubuntu release: 16.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.5.5
    Qt Version: 5.5.1
    Kernel version: 4.4.0-104-generic
    OS-type 64-bit
    Grub version: Version: 0.97-29ubuntu68
    Other operating system: windows 10
    Laptop: Lenovo T460p
    CPU: 8 x Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    GPU: when I type the command recommended in the post mentioned above I obtain:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake Integrated Graphics (rev 06)
    but according to the website where I bought my computer I'm supposed to have: Nvidia GeForce 940MX + Intel HD 530.
    RAM: 16 GB
    Hard Drives: 512 GB SSD S-ATA

Another way to get to that is instead of going through dolphin, type "About System" and you will go straight to that info.

Comment

Welcome to KFN!

Yes, the information contained in that post is 'dated'. It does need to be updated.

The Help isn't a button. It's the last item of the Menu Bar when you launch Dolphin. However, the KDE version isn't displayed there anymore. You can launch KInfocenter instead. But, you've already provided the information about what you are running/using, so no need.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes that has changed some ,,,,,,do you see the menu at the top of the dolphin window ? ,,,,if not the "Help is under "control" but you can hide/show the menu with "ctrl+M"

their is an "Info Center" in Kickoff(the mane menu)>system section that will tell you the KDE-frameworks version ,,,,,,and in the dolphin>help>about dolphin will give you the version of dolphin you are using .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Another nice way to present your system information is to install inxi and then to run inxi -Fxz in a terminal. You could then copy/paste the information here.

The post you linked to asks for additional information not covered by the inxi code I posted. So you may need to run a few more commands to provide the complete picture as defined by the "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING IN HELP THE NEW GUY".
          Last edited by chimak111; Jan 02, 2018, 08:07 PM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help! I discovered plenty of new things!
            @Vinny thank you for this precision:
            if not the "Help is under "control" but you can hide/show the menu with "ctrl+M"
            Indeed this help was hidden, and I didn't even know that it was possible to have this menu bar.

@chimak111 Thanks a lot for this inxi command. Now I have a much clearer idea of what my machine is

Comment

Working...
            X