X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 16 stuck in boot screen after update

Hi,

My Windows 10 was too buggy for me, so I tried to use an old Kubuntu version that was in a smaller partition in my computer. Unfortunately, after I updated that Kubuntu 14 to 16, it now gets stuck in the boot screen. The logo disappears, and nothing will happen.

Now I have two buggy OS. Could you please tell me what I could do? I'm inexperienced in Kubuntu, but I don't need to save any data; I only want a fresh start. Perhaps someone could instruct me how to repair or reinstall it from a pendrive ISO.

I have a Lenovo Z40, with Windows 10 and Kubuntu in dual boot. Intel Core i7. Nvidia Geforce. A 1 TB HD.

Thanks in advance.

I tried the update from 14-16 and it was a disaster.
    The "updates" that you want to do just don't work.
    Download the 16.04 file and burn it to a DVD (etc) and do a new install.
    I'll never try to do that upgrade again
    Greg
    W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
      I tried the update from 14-16 and it was a disaster.
      The "updates" that you want to do just don't work.
      Download the 16.04 file and burn it to a DVD (etc) and do a new install.
      I'll never try to do that upgrade again
      IMO for some, usually with older hardware, Kubuntu 14.10 and 15.04 were ...(breathing deeply, thinking calm thoughts) not good, and 15.10 not much better, with the transition to plasma 5. Upgrading through them was reportedly not recommended by the developers. Many chose to remain on 14.04 and some are still there.

I point this out to suggest that future Kubuntu upgrades may not be so bad. I got from 12.04 to 14.04, and 16.04 to 17.04, with little trouble, certainly less than the chore of setting everything up again.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I'm probably just lucky, but I upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04 without a new install, and it worked fine. I then added the Neon repositories after awhile and that worked fine too. And it still is, so much so that I may not bother to do the 18.04 install. I have been upgrading the Linux kernel, however, and it is currently 4.13.0-17. What did I do right? Maybe it works better south of the equator!

Comment

The direct upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04 was not recommended at the time, although some - like oldgeek, above - had no discernible problems. I followed directions and did a clean install of 16.04.1 which worked great and continues to work great. I'm looking forward to 18.04 LTS, but will probably wait until 18.04.1.

For the OP, IMO you just got stuck in the 14.04 to 16.04 problem. The solution would be to download the latest 16.04, burn it to a DVD or USB drive, and do a clean install on your Linux partition(s). Back up any data on both your current Windows and and current Linux installs.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Thank you all. I got luckier than I expected: I used a recovery mode available during the dual boot screen. It had many options for recovery. I tried all of them. It mentioned I had an incomplete installation. As I accepted the proposed method, it got the extra files (from where?!) and completed it. Now I somehow have a working Kubuntu 16.

Comment

It used your internet connection to connect to the repository and then it did
              dpkg —configure -a
              Apparently a previous update didn’t end normally, leaving one or more pkgs uninstalled or unconfigured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X