No announcement yet.

something unexpected after an update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GRUB] something unexpected after an update.

Hello, recently I got the following message after updating.
    I wanted to know what it is.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

See: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1414...her-bootable-p

If you have more than one operating system installed on your computer (e.g. Kubuntu and Windows) it is a good idea to set/add GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false in /etc/default/grub and sudo update-grub afterwards so they are all shown in the GRUB boot menu.

Eiher use Kate to change/add the GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER entry or use nano or vim in Konsole .
    Or just run the following command in Konsole:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.orig && echo -e "\n# Set to false to let GRUB look for other operating systems (default in *ubuntu is true)\nGRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false\n" | sudo tee -a /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub
    A backup of your old grub (named grub.orig) is made in /etc/default/ by this command and afterwards the changes are applied to grub.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 03, 2023, 11:00 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

If you are referring to the memtest86+ message, that's been happening since UEFI.

The OS prober message is common; I get it on my desktop kinetic Kubuntu. It is now the default outcome on new installs unless /etc/default/grub is edited to have the line GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false. It also happens on old installs if the prober hasn't found something in the past. This weird double negative is because the OS prober used to run automatically, for at least a decade, and this was deemed to be a security risk; I imagine some bad hat could poke a tiny USB stick into a port, or add one on the end of a keyboard cable, that the OS prober would find and set up a grub entry to compromise things.​

(IMO it's far, far less trouble to give up on this error-prone grub-mkconfig machinery, and manually edit a simplified /boot/grub/grub.cfg. Standard grub doesn't cope with btrfs anyway, AFAIK.)
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for You answer, I don't hace Another operating system.

Comment

The message is not new, but you will only see it when updating grub - kernel updates mainly, I believe was put there mostly due to the change the Grub developers made, which would cause a lot of confused/upset/annoyed people and tons unnecessary bug reports.

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          If you are referring to the memtest86+ message, that's been happening since UEFI.
          This may change some day soonish

Comment

So I shouldn't worry that something happened that affects?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertoAC View Post
              So I shouldn't worry that something happened that affects?
              No
              This is normal and expected messaging.

Comment

Working...
              X