This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu screen freeze when alt+tab

Hi, I have kubuntu 22.04 installed and sometimes when I alt-tab it freezes the screen. The mouse is still moving and still interacts (can hear video audio stopping and starting) but the screen is frozen. I can ctrl-alt-f2 and restart sddm but would like to stop the problem.

Have you checked any log files and looked for entries at the time when the " [alt]-[tab]-freeze " happens?

For example see https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-...ew-logs-files/ or use something like KSystemLog.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I cant see anything obvious in the logs, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Comment

Could have something to do with KWin for example.
        I found https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=460455 doing just a quick internet search, but there were more results…

Which KDE Plasma and Frameworks versions do you use?
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 14, 2023, 01:22 PM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

KDE Plasma Version 5.24.7
          KDE Frameworks Version 5.95.0
          Kernel Version 5.15.0-6
          Graphics Platform: X11

I have tried to reinstall but the problem is still there​

Comment

If you have already taken measures like reinstalling the system… - does this " [alt]-[tab]-freeze " also occur when you boot the computer into a live environment from an USB stick?

Comment

KDE Plasma 5.27 is out. You should upgrade to it and see if it fixes the problem. Otherwise: System Settings > Window Management > Task Switcher and try something else other than Breeze. Perhaps Compact?
              ​Perhaps using Wayland instead of X11?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I booted into a live environment and alt-tab for 5 mins and nothing happened. I saw changing the task switcher might help from another post but it didn't fix it. I'll try installing KDE Plasma 5.27

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  KDE Plasma 5.27 is out. You should upgrade to it and see if it fixes the problem.[…]
                  Not officially possible with Kubuntu 22.04 at the moment, afaik…
                  But you could enable the Kubuntu Backports :
                  Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
                  sudo update
                  sudo full-upgrade
                  and see if Frameworks 5.98 somehow fixes your problem (if it still occurs when booting Kubuntu 22.04 from a live USB stick…).

Comment

I tried installing KDE Plasma 5.27 but didn't work. Would switching to Kubuntu 22.10 ​have a chance of fixing it?

Comment

Originally posted by itsme223 View Post
                      I tried installing KDE Plasma 5.27 but didn't work. Would switching to Kubuntu 22.10 ​have a chance of fixing it?
                      We're working blind here. You say you booted a Live USB and didn't have a problem. What distro and version?
                      What is the make and model of your computer, and its video chip?
                      BTW, did you try setting Wayland as your DM?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

the USB boot was kubuntu 22.04 same as full install.
                        PC spec:
                        CPU: AMD 1800x
                        GPU: AMD RX480
                        RAM: 24GB

I'll try Wayland now

Comment

switching Wayland has to solve it. Thanks for your help

Comment

This happened to me twice with stock 22.04.1, fully updated, X11. Could not pursue it because it happened a few days apart and I failed to reproduce it. Switcher theme was Kubuntu or informative; can't remember. In both cases Firefox and a few spreadsheets (LO) were open. At first, I put the blame on FF because my action was not smooth: alt (FF disclosed its menu) + tab. So, I changed FF to show its menu at all times and forgot about it. It happened again a few days later, however. Mouse was moving but not functional. Managed to drop to a tty but failed to start X. I did not have time to investigate further as I was in a hurry.

Comment

Working...
                            X