Problems with updating new install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Problems with updating new install

I purchased a larger ssd for my laptop. Installed Kubuntu w/Plasma. Updating usually takes about ten to fifteen minutes ... today took at least two hours.
    Also when trying to install grub-customizer an error appears: 'unable to find server at api.launchpad.net'.
    This problem still exists as of now.

Also tried 'sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade' and get error:
    'could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 1339 (packagekitd).
    Be aware that removing the lock is not a solution and may break your system.
    Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/'.
    There is no process 1339.

Anyone know why?

Originally posted by Kumann View Post
    today took at least two hours.
    Servers can be slow, though this greatly depends on the mirrors you may be using, as well as many other factors between there and your network. I noticed some serious slowdowns earlier in the day myself, as well as various reports of speed issues on Ubuntu's other infrastructures, too . It happens.

'could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock. It is held by process 1339 (packagekitd).
    This means something else is/was fetching updates at the moment -- packagekit indicates that Discover, or other background update checking was happening when you ran apt..

Sometimes, though rare, a lock file can get left behind on Debian-like systems. If you reboot, and it still shows the same message, then it is safe to delete the lock file in the message.
    The lock file is there simply to prevent multiple instances of apt from running at the same time.
    Last edited by claydoh; Feb 06, 2023, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      […]
      I noticed some serious slowdowns earlier in the day myself, as well as various reports of speed issues on Ubuntu's other infrastructures, too.
      […]
      So did I today while updating Thunderbird. The problem will probably have gone away for you if you wait for some hours or until tomorrow.
      (And if Discover takes a looooong time fetching updates/informations, packagekitd will "lock out" apt during this time.)
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 06, 2023, 04:34 PM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

I reinstalled Neon yesterday evening and noticed the same slowdowns. I even selected a local mirror but it didn't help much. Anyway, everything was back to normal later in the evening!
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Well rather than fight the problem I re-installed again. This time all was okay. The Internet must have been the original problem. The update this time took about two minutes.

Comment

Well rather than fight the problem I re-installed again
            Ok..... though all you had to do was delete the lock file, at worst.......what was there to fight?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Ok..... though all you had to do was delete the lock file, at worst.......what was there to fight?
              I'm new to Linux! I count not find what to delete/kill.

Comment

I count not find what to delete/kill.
                The error message gave the file name of the lock file causing the problem /var/lib/apt/lists/lock) , and if we neglected to be clear enough (or if we were not clear at all), just ask

Comment

Working...
                X