AMD Radeon Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD Radeon Drivers

Hey, I was using mint os for a while with amd graphics drivers which make a huge difference when it comes to video processing and compression with kdenlive for example. So I tried the same process with those drivers on 22 and even running 23 beta with no luck.

So my question is this, does anyone have a process for installing amd drivers on kubuntu which enable vulkan and all other graphics accelerations?

Total newbie here!

thanks!
    evropej

System info below
    System:

Kernel: 5.15.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.7

tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy

Machine:

Type: Laptop System: GPU product: GWNR71517 v: N/A serial: <superuser required> Chassis:

type: 10 serial: <superuser required>

Mobo: GPU model: GPU Company serial: <superuser required> UEFI: GPU

v: LC-BI-15.6-N14PBR110-650-D date: 11/11/2021

CPU:

Info: quad core model: AMD Ryzen 7 3700U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx bits: 64 type: MT MCP

arch: Zen/Zen+ note: check rev: 1 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 2 MiB L3: 4 MiB

Speed (MHz): avg: 2038 high: 2929 min/max: 1400/2300 boost: enabled cores: 1: 1178 2: 1178

3: 1178 4: 1178 5: 2929 6: 2918 7: 2897 8: 2848 bogomips: 36733

Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm

Graphics:

Device-1: AMD Picasso/Raven 2 [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Mobile Series] driver: amdgpu

v: 5.16.9.22.20 pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 16 ports: active: eDP-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1

bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:15d8

Device-2: HRY USB Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 1-4:4 chip-ID: 0edc:5830

Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati

unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa gpu: amdgpu display-ID: :0 screens: 1

Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 96

Monitor-1: eDP res: 1920x1080 dpi: 142 diag: 395mm (15.5")

OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (LLVM 14.0.1 DRM 3.46 5.15.0-58-generic) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.0-devel

direct render: Yes

Which Kubuntu versions? There is 22.04 LTS, 22.10, an the upcoming 23.04. there is a new release every 6 months.

Normally you don't need the proprietary AMDGPU-PRO for this, not for Kdenlive etc. That's more for opencl workstation stuff. The kernel and Mesa drivers are more than good enough - the "pro" is actually based on that.

But in any case, since Mint is Ubuntu where it counts, you'd do it the same way you did there.

Normally for vulkan support you just need to make sure you have it installed. You may already have it

Look for libvulkan1 mesa-vulkan-drivers vulkan-utils

It wont hurt to upgrade Mesa drivers either. There are a few PPAs for this, but some are quite bleeding edge, with updates at least once a day.

I use this one, on 22.04:

https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/kisak-mesa

Updated Mesa can help with gaming enough , probably doesn't add much if anything for video encoding.

I can't remember off the top of my head if anything extra needs to be installed for vaapi and/or libVA hardware encoding support.

Comment

• oshunluvr
      oshunluvr commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe it may be "vulkan-tools" rather than vulkan-utils

I tried it on Kubuntu 22.10 and 23.04 both with clean installs. The system works fine with the default drivers but kdenlive gives me 140fps with min and the drivers installed while kubuntu gives me 30-40fps. This was the case with mint as well. When I installed the amd drivers directly from the instruction on the internet, I got a significant performance increase.

I posting the link to the instructions below.

So basically, can someone give me the commands for going through the whole process with kubuntu?

After doing a lot of research, people are saying that the install script is not updated for newer kernels, along with the firmware upgrades.

All this is above my head. I am coming from a windows environment so linux is all new to me.

Thanks

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1417...pu-hip-support

Comment

As I said, Kubuntu is 100% identical to Ubuntu, just the UI looks different. Drivers and kernels etc are 100% identical, and managed in the exact same way.
      Mint is based on *bunut 22.04 LTS, using Kubuntu 22.04 LTS, it will work the same.
      You are trying these instruction that are for 22.04 on a newer release, and things are quite likely to have changed a little, if not a lot.

AMDGPU-PRO tends to only support Ubuntu LTS very well, as it is designed for worksattion useage, not us mere mortals. This driver has *always* been a major pain in the butt to install and set up, and the official instruction change regularly.
      Install Kubuntu 22.04 if your focus is to use these drivers and libraries.

https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.i...-overview.html
      Just read those docs thoroughly - it can be confusing - and see what parts you actually need to install. You WILL want to do some research, this is the nature of Linux that can't be escaped, and graphics subsystems triples or quadruples this.

If you just need amdvlk, there is this: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK
      they have deb files there. But it is hard to say if amdvlk is better than Mesa+ radv (stock) but that depends on the hardware. My RX6600 didn't show any difference in gaming.

But if you really want and need the driver and opencl stack from amdgpu-pro, you really want to stick to LTS releases until you gain more Linux experience.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        As I said, ...

https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.i...-overview.html
        Just read those docs thoroughly - it can be confusing - and see what parts you actually need to install. You WILL want to do some research, this is the nature of Linux that can't be escaped, and graphics subsystems triples or quadruples this.
        Like I said, I have tried that procedure and it does not work. First, I had to get a different installer package from another site in order for those instructions to work on Mint OS. So I got them working by installing a different installer package. But on Kubuntu, they do not work.

Here is the installer I used
        https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-insta...0205-1_all.deb

And then the command to install the drivers on Mint
        amdgpu-install --usecase=opencl,graphics -y --accept-eula --opencl=rocr --vulkan=amdvlk

I am posting this for others.

But the problem still persists with Kubuntu.
        Like I said, I think based on the research, that a different installer package is needed which has different kernels and firmware references.

This is the best that I have come up with.

I love Kubuntu but without the GPU support, it is only for web browsing and minor graphical applications. It makes no sense to render videos in that platform which take 4 times longer.

So I am hoping someone out there has some other information to get passed this!

I have sent AMD a message saying that they should support linux like they support windows!

Thanks for the information so far!

Comment

Originally posted by evropej View Post
          Like I said, I think based on the research, that a different installer package is needed which has different kernels and firmware references.
          And AMD don't support this, only providing stuff for the LTS versions of Ubuntu -- don't forget that quite literally Kubuntu=Ubuntu, outside of the body style and paint job, if you will.

From na AMD developer:

Originally posted by evropej View Post
          there is a newer version of that than 22.20
          https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...ed-linux-22-40
          It is also entirely possible a previous version might work better, as well -- just to needlessly confuse things.
          AMD do not provide packages or support non-LTS releases of Ubuntu. That means 20.04 LTS and 22.04 LTS only for any official and non-official variants (and Linux Mint), 22.10, 23.04 and the like probably won't work without hopes, prayers, and a lot of work, though they will install

Keep the official AMD docs handy, most of the rando websites are outdated, as AMD changes things often enough to make those websites outdated even if they are from this past summer.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 02, 2023, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X