total freeze in laptop toshiba satellite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] total freeze in laptop toshiba satellite

Hello people, a little over a month ago I installed kubuntu 22.04 on my computer, during that time it works stably for me but sometimes when I am in the browser (Firefox) watching youtube videos it happens every once in a while that the pc freezes, that includes that the mouse and keyboard do not respond to any movement, the only way to return was to disconnect from the source to make it work again, because I wanted help, the pc is a Satellite C50-A PSCJEM-017TM1

Is it this, with the same CPU?
    https://intercompras.com/p/laptop-to...l-blanca-75689

Certain Intel BayTrail Atom processors used to have a well known freezing issue in Linux, no idea if it is still valid today, though.

The official fix is to set a kernel parameter to disable a c-state
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/8036...ntel-bay-trail

Another option , a bit more involved, might be this:
    https://github.com/Codeuctivity/Inte...ze-workarround

It has been ages since I have had such hardware, but the intel_idle.max_cstate=1 fix did work fine when I did.
    It still looks to be necessary in today's kernels, apparently.

Comment

If it is the same model you used.
      when i installed kubuntu on the pc, i made it use the whole hard drive, the pc doesn't have any dual boot. Just that the CPU that I use Intel Celeron N2820. So should I try the first option?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertoAC View Post
        So should I try the first option?
        Yes, that is what I used to do on my Atom mini-laptops.
        It is simple to do, and to remove, if needed.

Dual-boot is not an issue, it is general hardware issues in the Linux kernel for these specific CPUs, for many years and poor (no) support from Intel for them.

Comment

Thank you for your answer, follow the instructions in option 1, in the course of these days I will see if it worked to give a more complete answer and give the problem as solved.​ A question today I received 3 updates, 2 of which were related to grub, it was grub-efi-amd64-bin and grub-efi-amd64-signed, will they affect what I do in option 1?
          Greetings.​

Comment

Originally posted by RobertoAC View Post
            today I received 3 updates, 2 of which were related to grub, it was grub-efi-amd64-bin and grub-efi-amd64-signed, will they affect what I do in option 1?
            They should not, but it is easy enough to double check afterward, and re-do if necessary.

Comment

I come to say that it seems that the problem has been fixed and mark the matter as solved, thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X