Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Utilities] TimeShift question

So I made a TimeShift backup.

Now my question is, if the system crashes and there is no way to boot the system and the TimeShift backup is on the disk drive, how do you access and use the TImeShift file to recover the system?

See https://itsfoss.com/backup-restore-linux-timeshift/
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That procedure works if the disk drive is not damaged.

So I ask, why doesn't TimeShift allow backing up files to either a USB or DVD?

Never mind I found this thread:
      https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=268345
      Last edited by Kumann; Jan 28, 2023, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Timeshift isn't a backup program, it is a system restore program, hence all the hoops you need to do to achieve your goal.

And by 'boot' do you mean 'log in'?
        If you can boot up to the login point, and probably to grub (and thus access recovery mode), you can most definitely use Timeshift on the command line, from a tty.
        It is a fairly simply and self-explanatory process, with good prompting and instruction.

Another option, which I have used when initially testing Timeshift, is to run a live OS session and install Timeshift. Then run it, and restore that way.
        It worked fine in multiple tests, though I do only use Timeshift for simple BTRFS snapshots, in a set-and-forget fashion. The only times I have restored/rolled back outside of the running OS have been from the command line because I find it is simpler and quicker.
        sudo timeshift restore , follow the prompts to select the desired snapshot, etc and bang, you're done.

I assume the process would behave the same with rsync snapshots, though external sources might make things more fun.

I do wish Mint's forum would have a separate section just for Timeshift, since it is their project, but not everyone using this software runs their OS. Or at least add one for their general Xapps stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X