Upgrade from 22.04.01 LTS to 22.10 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Development] Upgrade from 22.04.01 LTS to 22.10 question

Is it possible to upgrade 22.04.01 LTS to 22.10?
    Will there be a 22.10 LTS release? If so when?

Never mind, I found this link.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ki...grades/Kubuntu

Update:

I did the update and it was successful. Only took about twenty minutes.
    I noticed that while the update takes place every so often there is a message displayed stating a restart is necessary.
    These messages might be confusing to some people, it was to me, since the terminal had stopped I almost did a reboot.

Last edited by Kumann; Jan 22, 2023, 06:01 PM.

Originally posted by Kumann View Post
    […] Will there be a 22.10 LTS release? If so when? […]
    No.
    (K)ubuntu 22.10 wil never be an LTS release. It will be supported for 9 months (in this case until July '23), as all interim releases are (see: https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/ for example).

LTS releases are (and will be): 22.04, 24.04, 26.04, etc.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 22, 2023, 07:08 PM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

No.
      (K)ubuntu 22.10 wil never be an LTS release. It will be supported for 9 months (in this case untill July '23), as all interim releases are (see: https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/ for example).

LTS releases are (and will be): 22.04, 24.04, 26.04, etc.
      What happens after the nine months? Do they do an update?

Comment

Originally posted by Kumann View Post
        What happens after the nine months? Do they do an update?
        There is a new OS release every 6 months. You get a prompt to upgrade the OS when the new one is released.
        After the 9 months the release is EOL, and the package archive is ...archived. If you haven't upgraded by then, nothing happens. You just stop getting any updates.

LTS are a little different. If you started out on an LTS release, you do not get upgrade prompts for two years, normally. So, if you installed 22.04, you will not see an upgrade notification until 2024.
        So, 22.04 users will not normally see a prompt to upgrade to 22.10.
        However, this can be changed, if one wants to do so. There is an Upgrades setting in the Software Sources tool, found in Discover's settings section.
        But you have a short window. You can only upgrade to the very next version - no skipping, for any *buntu release, except for LTS, which does allow you to upgrade to the next LTS, only

If you started on a non-LTS version, you will stay on the 6 month release cycle, even when you get to an LTS version, unless you change the Upgrade settings when you get there.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          If you started on a non-LTS version, you will stay on the 6 month release cycle, even when you get to an LTS version, unless you change the Upgrade settings when you get there.
          That used to be the case, but after upgrading 21.10 to 22.04 the setting was changed by something at some point to LTS only, on my work and home Kubuntu installations. I was surprised, so it probably wasn't me.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

After upgrading to 22.10 had some weird problems with text intermittently not displaying next to icons in Dolphin.

So I went back to 22.04 and all is okay.

Comment

Working...
            X