Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Having weird problem with coping files to a usb drive ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Utilities] [SOLVED] Having weird problem with coping files to a usb drive ...

When copying text files with the overwrite option the process runs okay and the files look okay having good sizes.
    I then remove the usb drive and when I re-insert the usb drive the file sizes are zero.

If I delete the files on the usb drive first and then copy the files, not using the overwrite option, the files look okay having good sizes.
    When I re-insert the usb drive the file sizes are okay.

I have used a few usb drives and this issue happens with all of them.
    I do not have this problem with other distros.

I spent three weeks trying out two dozen distros. I like Kubuntu the best.

Any ideas what the problem could be?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

You need to ensure that write operations to externally connected storage devices have actually completed before you unplug the device. Using Dolphin, just right-click on the device name and select Safely Remove. When the action finishes, you can then remove the device.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      You need to ensure that write operations to externally connected storage devices have actually completed before you unplug the device. Using Dolphin, just right-click on the device name and select Safely Remove. When the action finishes, you can then remove the device.
      Issue still exists.
      After copies are done a message box shows in the lower right corner of the screen stating copy is finished.
      I still have to delete the files first before doing a copy ... I can live with that.

Comment

Strange…
        Which version of Kubuntu do you use?
        Which file system do your USB drives have (ext4, FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, …)?
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Kumann View Post
          After copies are done a message box shows in the lower right corner of the screen stating copy is finished.
          It is lying, or rather is mistaken. The copy is not finished until the write cache is flushed, which can take minutes.

Only by clicking the "safely remove" thingy and it completes can you be sure everything is written.

Being one who denies that patience is a virtue, I often start a system monitor in which I've configured a page that shows I/O, and it's clear from that when writing stops.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            Strange…
            Which version of Kubuntu do you use?
            Which file system do your USB drives have (ext4, FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, …)?
            Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS x86_64
            ext4
            Plasma 5.24.7

Dell Inspiron 15 1567, Intel i7-7500U, 2.7ghz, 16 gb memory, 230 gb drive.

Comment

delete
              Last edited by Kumann; Jan 17, 2023, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                It is lying, or rather is mistaken. The copy is not finished until the write cache is flushed, which can take minutes.

Only by clicking the "safely remove" thingy and it completes can you be sure everything is written.

Being one who denies that patience is a virtue, I often start a system monitor in which I've configured a page that shows I/O, and it's clear from that when writing stops.
                I'll use the "safely remove" thingy from now on. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X