This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant enter Windows disk after Kubuntu disk was removed. 'Grub Error'

Background: I installed Kubuntu on SSD #2 to try it out and learn it, while having Windows installed on SSD #1. Now, I decided to remove SSD #2 to transfer it to another computer so I didn't have to restart my computer every time I wanted to try Kubuntu. Now, when I started my Windows computer with only SSD #1 I get into some kind of error terminal during BIOS saying "error: disk 'lvmid...(a Lot of random characters) not found. Entering rescue mode... grub rescue".

In other words, I can't access Windows. Even though I press F12 to specifically select SSD #1 with Windows on. Is there a way to access it without having to re-add SSD #2?

Only solution I can think of now is to re-add SSD #2 (havent tried it yet), but then again, what would I do to "peacefully" remove Kubuntu slash SSD #2 without BIOS complaining about one of two boot disks not found? Is it possible without having to add Windows disk slash USB to repair windows?

TL DR
    1. Removed Kubuntu SSD, now computer wont allow me to access Windows on my main SSD. Going into grub rescue. How do I solve this?
    2. How do I make my boot slash BIOS understand that Kubuntu is no longer available and I want to boot Windows and only windows in the future?
    3. If I re-add Kubuntu SSD, how do I remove Kubuntu and all its boot settings so my computer won't look for it and prevent me from entering Windows? Is it possible at all without a Windows USB slash disk to repair it all?

Thanks in advance
    This was written in Kubuntu live boot

when you installed Kubuntu it took over the booting of the computer ,,,so you will need to put the drive back in first .

then you need to googel repairing the windows boot ,,,it will be different depending on what ver, of windows and if you computer uses standard BIOS or UEFI .

it may be as simple as booting into windows (after putting the drive back in) and opening a command prompt/power shell and doing
    Code:
    [B]bootrec.exe /fixmbr[/B]
    you will not be able to boot the Kubuntu any more + you can not just put the drive Kubuntu is on now into a different computer and just boot it without doing some more work ,

when you installed Kubuntu into drive #2 it wrote grub into the MBR of drive #1 BUT the config files for booting are on drive #2 so both drives are needed to accomplish a boot to either system .

if you fix windows with the command above and put the Kubuntu drive in a different computer you can fix it's booting problem with the live cd/usb you installed it from .

that will be a new post

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

And I'll drop this here for you, just in case it might come in handy:

First, do as Vinny says -- put that 2nd drive back in the computer.

Then you may consider using Boot Repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

It seems to work more often than not!
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        Text
        Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        Text
        It booted up correctly when I put #2 SSD in, so that part is solved. I haven't tried "repairing" the boot yet, but that bootrec command didn't work. It says bootrec.exe is not a commando. However I plan on doing a fresh installation of Windows (for unrelated reasons) and am I correct in assuming this will fix the boot problems that the Kubuntu installation caused? At least now I know where to start if I run into future problems with dual boot stuff. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by KubuntuNewbie View Post
          I haven't tried "repairing" the boot yet, but that bootrec command didn't work. It says bootrec.exe is not a commando.
          you did do that from in windows rite .

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

you did do that from in windows rite . VINNY
            Yes, I did As far as I know, "exe" can't be used in a Linux environment

Comment

Originally posted by KubuntuNewbie View Post
              Yes, I did As far as I know, "exe" can't be used in a Linux environment
              you still have not said what ver of windows you are using ,,,as I said in post #2 it will be different depending on what ver of windows you are fixing !

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

you still have not said what ver of windows you are using ,,,as I said in post #2 it will be different depending on what ver of windows you are fixing ! VINNY
                Yes, sorry. I missed that. I am using Windows 7 Professional

Comment

Working...
                X