Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[System] Kubuntu is very slow on my computer?

Hello,

I've recently got a new computer (i7 7700, GPU Nvidia 970, SSD). However, the system seems extremely slow for me. Does anyone know what I need to update / download to help with this issue?

Or can I somehow see why it is slow?

Thanks,
    Tobias Johansson

Which version of Kubuntu?
    What are your hardware specs. (sudo lshw)

You can open Ksystemlog and take a look at the processes. Click on the %CPU header to sort by percentage of CPU usage to see what is using your CPU cycles.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Quite often, I have heard my friends state their "computer is too slow", just to find out they are talking about web browsing. So I would like to ask Tobias as well, what process are you running that you deem to be "slow". You don't need to be too specific, I am asking; game, application, web related? The reason I ask, many times web based processes depend on your speed across several networks. These issues are related to traffic and not the OS at all. Games or videos with HD graphics can slow you down based on where the OS is told to pull the GPU RAM from such as, a graphics card or shared memory. I see you have an Nvidia card, you might need to load the Additional Drivers. Finally, I took note you have a Solid State Drive, while they are shock resistant and have no moving parts, the read/write on those are not as fast as a standard SATA HD. As you can see, there is a lot more going on with the PC other than the OS.
      Last edited by Simon; Oct 19, 2017, 03:13 AM. Reason: typos got to love them

Comment

My KDE Neon User Edition was taking about 3 minutes to load and shut down. Then, a month ago, KMail refused to connect to either of my new ISP’s mail servers. So, I installed Thunderbird and it connected automatically. I purged KMail and turned off Akonadi and the baloo_file indexer. It was then that I noticed that a shutdown took about 15-20 seconds and a power-up about 90 seconds. My desktop is snappier and Dolphin populates its panels much more quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have installed several distributions with KDE over the last month. Tumbleweed, NEON, Mint, and Kubuntu and all had varying degrees of slowness. Mostly it was related to the baloo_file indexer. When installation was fresh it was horrible to work with. Transferring files and anything file related would lock it up for a bit. Once I got it rolling along it speed up nicely. Unless I shutdown(laptop) it stayed fast. If I shutdown more than a couple hours it would slow down. I think I may try disabling the indexer. I just loaded Mint on my main system and with 17.10 out I may switch and try that. On a related note Windows 10 has the same issue with its indexer until system has completed a full index.

Comment

Working...
          X