This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How can I set up Remote Headless access to the Kubuntu Desktop

I recently installed Kubuntu on an old Mac mini (6,2 in Apple's parlance). I would like to have this system setup without a keyboard, mouse, or monitor, and access it remotely.

I have set up a startup script to launch x11vnc, but this does not run until after I log into Kubuntu on the Mac mini. Only after logging in directly can I access the system remotely.

I searched the forums and the web but have come up empty. Any help on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated. And I expect I will need to provide additional info, so please let me know how I can help you help me.

Thanks in advance,

---
    After reading the "Please read before posting in help the new guy":

Kubuntu 22.10
    Plasma 5.25.5
    Last edited by MevetS; Dec 16, 2022, 07:53 PM.

Simply use ssh to access the Mac mini remotely?

sudo apt install openssh-server on the Mac mini.

Or do you need a GUI?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks for the response. Yes, I need the GUI.

Comment

OK, so what keeps you from logging in automatically after booting the Mac mini to start your script?

You can configure this in System Settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Login Screen (SDDM)
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

And that worked. And it was just that simple. :-) Thank you very much for your time and help.

Comment

Working...
          X