Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] same Gnome package installed twice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] same Gnome package installed twice?

I had one flatpak app that I used. On trying to get Heroic Games Launcher it turned out that Discover doesnt find it and I have to install it via Flatpak too.

When I updated flatpak I mentioned that I suddenly have other Flatpak packages that I did not install and one, the Gnome one, seems to be double now since I have one installed by Ubuntu stack.

So now I got these two as shown in the jpg I added and wonder if they (the first and the 3rd) are actually the same package from different souces?

My question now is if that is the case and if I can uninstall the first one?

Also I dont know what org.gnome.Platform.Locale is for (the one in the middle). I wonder if I need it or rather how I can find out if it is some dependency that is needed.

Also the proprietary NV-Drivers that are installed are suddenly from Flatpak while they where not before, which is kinda confusing because I just switched to those drivers via the driver manager and updated them when an update was available in Discover. When I updated my one and only Flatpak app last time, about a week ago, it did not say anything about updating NV-drivers but now suddenly it does. Is that normal? That system drivers change the source via updates?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fred-VIE; Dec 06, 2022, 12:38 PM.

Look to the right side of each entry.

One is a Flatpak, the other is a Snap. Note the differing icons as well.

Even then, both Snap and Flatpak applications can depend on specific versions of underlying core library sets under the hood, sometimes. Older software that doesn't see constant updates all the time, for example. So if you look using the command line, you may well see multiple versions of these things installed, but this depends entirely on the individual program and what its own requirements are.

Originally posted by Fred-VIE View Post
    Also the proprietary NV-Drivers that are installed are suddenly from Flatpak
    That is kinda sorta not possible. Well, actually, as Flatpak are sandboxed, you do need nvidia and OpenGL stuff specifically for flatpaks as well, but these are NOT your system drivers at all. Not all applications need this, but a flatpak you have installed does need this. Anything related to video and graphics wil. OBS, video editors, etc.

Also I dont know what org.gnome.Platform.Locale is for
    Language and locale support, for Gtk/Gnome flatpaks, probably necessary, methinks , else it wouldn't have been installed as a dependency.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      One is a Flatpak, the other is a Snap. Note the differing icons as well.
      Yea I noticed after I have installed the "flatpak backend" because "heroic game launcher" installation prompted me to and since then it shows the sources that way. It was pretty obvious and is actually preferrable to how it was before.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Even then, both Snap and Flatpak applications can depend on specific versions of underlying core library sets under the hood, sometimes. Older software that doesn't see constant updates all the time, for example. So if you look using the command line, you may well see multiple versions of these things installed, but this depends entirely on the individual program and what its own requirements are.

Well, actually, as Flatpak are sandboxed, you do need nvidia and OpenGL stuff specifically for flatpaks as well, but these are NOT your system drivers at all. Not all applications need this, but a flatpak you have installed does need this. Anything related to video and graphics wil. OBS, video editors, etc.
      That is interesting to know thanks!

I just found it. That Freedesktop Platform is a basic runtime for flatpak and the drivers are needed by the Freedesktop Platform. GNOME and Gtk are probably needed by either of them as well.

When I was trying another Linux Distribution I could use YAY. Would it be possible to use that under Kubuntu too?
      Last edited by Fred-VIE; Dec 06, 2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

When I was trying another Linux Distribution I could use YAY. Would it be possible to use that under Kubuntu too? Or is YAY just another app source like Flatpak?
        yay is a tool for managing Arch linux software packaging, so it only works on Arch-like disros, much like apt only works on Debian-like distros.

Each major distribution type is essentially defined by the core packaging type -- Debs for Debian/Ubuntu, RPM for the unrelated Fedora and Suse, etc. They all use differing tools for package management.
        GUI tools like Plasma Discover and Gnome Software are designed to use plugins to be able to hook into different packaging systems, so the GUI is the same on Arch, or Fedora, but under the hood it is still using whatever that distro's native tools are.
        These package formats (and tools) are not interchangeable, even among 'siblings' very often (such as Debian and Ubuntu, though these both use the same tools, the packages are not interchangeable)

Snap, Flatpak and Appimages are systems to attempt to reduce this fragmentation, at least on the user application front.

Being Linux of course means no one can agree on any one thing, so we have three of these to mate with our 2323.2 different distros

Comment

Working...
        X