Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I uninstalled python-is-python3 by mistake and I am getting kicked back to a TTY

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I uninstalled python-is-python3 by mistake and I am getting kicked back to a TTY

Hello, I recently moved from Windows to Kubuntu and was working on a Python project in PyCharm and wanted to change from Python3.10 to Python3.11. In Bash, I could run python3.11, but it was not showing up in PyCharm. I then began looking for Ieads online and was not finding anything. I then tried installing python-is-python3 and when that didn't help I uninstalled it and at that point, my KDE Environment kicked me back to TTY. I tried reinstalling python-is-python3 but that didn't work.

Is this fixable and If not where can I find all config files for KDE so I can reinstall Kubuntu? Also is there a way in Linux to get full image backups of the OS?

Thanks for Reading,
    DaringT

Try which python and ls -la /usr/bin/pytho*

There are many backup applications, I use TimeShift and are quite happy with it.

Comment

I ran both commands and got the following results, I also added the results of the "startx" command if that would be useful. Also thanks for the recommendation for backup software, I will take a look at TimeShift.

daren@daren-Aspire-TC-605:"$ which python
      /usr/bin/python

daren@daren-Aspire-TC-605:"$ ls -la /usr/bin/pytho*

Iruxruxrux 1 root root 7 Nov 1 2021 /usr/bin/python -> python3
      Iruxruxrux 1 root root 10 Aug 18 06:39 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.10
      xinit: connection to X server lost
      -ruxr-xr-x 1 root root 5912936 Nov 1 14:53 /usr/bin/python3.10
      -ruxr-xr-x 1 root root 6890080 Aug 12 06:02 /usr/bin/python3.11
      ​​
      daren@daren-Aspire-TC-605:~$ startx
      X.Org X Server 1.21.1.3
      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
      Current Operating System: Linux daren-Aspire-TC-605 5.15.0-52-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 13 08:03:55 UTC 2022 x86_64
      Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-52-generic root=UUID=173f19f8-3183-4c8a-a99f-18dce01cc09c ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
      xorg-server 2:21.1.3-2ubuntu2.2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
      Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
      Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
      to make sure that you have the latest version.
      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
      (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
      (HH) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
      (==) Log file: "/home/daren/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Nov 19 14:46:32 2022
      (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
      xf86EnableI0: failed to enable I/O ports 0000-03ff (Operation not permitted)
      waiting for X server to shut down (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.​

Thanks for Reading,
      DaringT

Comment

So you see, "python" is a symlink to /usr/bin/python3​, which in turn symlinks to python 3.10.
        That is probably all that python-is-python3 does.

So if you want it to be a link to python 3.11, first you remove the symlink to python 3.10
        sudo rm /usr/bin/python3
        Then you link python3 to 3.11
        sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python3.11 /usr/bin/python3
        That might fix the python thing. Even though I consider python to be a total mess, so it might not ;·)

As to why KDE is not running... no idea basically. You might want to look at this or similar pages.
        What happens if you Log Out? Do you get the login screen where you can choose the session type (X11 or Wayland)?

All your config files are under /home/daren, BTW, so backing that up and restoring it will let you keep them if you re-install.
        Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Nov 19, 2022, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the long response, I tried checking a couple of things in that link that you send me and I couldn't the path that it was asking me to go to. tbh I don't know GNU/Linux enough to understand what exactly happened. I ended up just copying my home folder to a flash drive and reinstalling Kubuntu instead of wasting more time on this one.

For python, thanks for mentioning that, I was not sure how to update a Python version in Linux. In Windows it's pretty straightforward and if break Python breaks it does not break your Desktop Env.

For Timeshift, I did check that up and that looks like it should suit my needs.

Thanks, Don for your help on this, and have a happy Thanksgiving!
          Daring_T

Comment

Working...
          X