Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] MSI Trident

Hello everyone,
    Is it possible to install Kubuntu on MSI Trident ?
    Any advices are welcome, thank you​

I would expect so. If you have access to one, perhaps even in a store, I suggest downloading the iso, writing it to a USB, and see if the Trident will boot Kubuntu, and maybe play some media on it.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I changed my mind and I ordered PC parts

Silverstone SST-RVZ03 case
      CORSAIR SF750 80 PLUS Platinum PSU
      Gigabyte B660I Aorus Pro DDR4 mainboard
      Intel Core i7 12700KF ( 3,6 GHz default ) CPU
      XFX Speedster SWFT210 Radeon RX 6600 XT - GPU ( AFAIK, AMD GPU's are better for Linux )
      Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR 4
      Samsung 870 EVO - 500 GB SSD
      Samsung 870 QVO - 1 TB SSD
      and the Noctua NH-L9i - for CPU cooler

Much better than they already offer, imo​

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I tried Kubuntu Live, everything works ok but only 30 Hz @8k
          Should I install it ( with AMD driver ) ? Do I have a chance ?

There are some threads, about this

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1746

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comm...0_with_nvidia/

Someone said

" wondering if you got any updates on 8k 60hz?
          From my research, the reason why it doesn't work is because the Linux nvidia drivers does not have display stream compression (DSC) (yet?), whereas the windows drivers does. DSC is required for 8k 60hz to work when using an hdmi 2.1 cable, assuming that gpu & tv also support hdmi 2.1 and 8k 60hz "

Comment

Originally posted by greex View Post
            Should I install it ( with AMD driver ) ?
            if you mean by installing the non-free AMDGPU-PRO workstation driver, instead of using the standard open source amdgpu driver already included? NO. This driver won't help at all as it is for workstation use, and actually is using the open-source kernel driver as its core.
            Unfortunately, something as cutting edge as 8k hardware is going to lag behind on Linux, if only because there are probably only about 6 people actually using that sort of setup lol.
            I suspect the live session is using the same driver it would be using for a normal install, but I don't know if it is being restricted a bit for compatibility or safety.

You might need to try out a live session of the most current *buntu release (if not already), but more ideally something much a MUCH more current kernel and mesa, to get the best experience, and probably to make sure you have full hdmi 2.1 support, if that is what you are using.
            if you are unsure about installing to a hard drive, you can do a physical install to a separate USB drive, and see how that works. There are sources for newer kernels (I suggest Xanmod or Liquorix) and Mesa drivers as well

Comment

Linux ( doesen't matter which distro ) does not support 8k - 60 Hz, unfortunately

Comment

Working...
              X