This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

full drive - deleted backups - system lock up - drive still full

I have deleted backups, or tried to. While deleting them I got error messages that I dont have enough space. The system locked up and after a few mins I restarted via the reset button.

Now the drive is still as full as it was before but the old backups are gone (under "prune old backups") so I assume the files are still there since I still dont have any space.

Where is that backup data located and how can I get rid of it?
    How can I put the backups to another drive to save space on the system drive?

Also everytime I doubleklick a desktop shortcut to another drive the system goes nuts and opens dophin until the system locks up. Manually closing them seems to open even more sessions.

The story to that desktop shortcut is. After every other update that shortcut stops opening the drive but rather opens a text file. Last time it worked to rightklick and "open with" Dophin. Then it was working again. Now after doing so I get the 1000 sessions of Dophin when I doubleclick the shortcut once until the system becomes unresponsive.
    Last edited by Fred-VIE; Oct 17, 2022, 11:26 AM.

Assuming the Backups tool in System Settings? This is Kup backup.

Have you emptied your trash? I imagine that is full.
    Originally posted by Fred-VIE View Post
    While deleting them I got error messages that I dont have enough space
    Deleting (shift-delete) or sending to trash?

Where is that backup data located and how can I get rid of it?
    The location is the wherever you set the files to go when creating the backup plan.
    How can I put the backups to another drive to save space on the system drive?
    You should be able to just move the files elsewhere, and adjust your plan settings to point to the new location.
    This is exactly what I did recently when I built a cheap NAS out of mostly spare parts. It was formerly going to a USB backup drive, and before that to an extra internal drive.

Comment

Ah thx! I did not find it in the tool from the task bar but it is in the system settings anyways. Forgot to look there.

Yea the bin is empty. Seems the backups needed much less space than I was hoping. Since I have installed almost nothing I have no clue what the missing 50+ GB are used for. Hopefully not for updates. I have to look into that. On other distributions I never ran into disk space problems because I just use browser/email and a few small tools.

Comment

I dunno. My bone stock, minimal 22.04 install with zero extra software installed software installed takes less than 15 Gb of space, including the swap file. Though from Dolphin's free space bar, and some quick math, it thinks more is used.

Use a dedicated drive space tool such as the very handy and underrated Filelight or df -f as well as perhaps Gparted, Partition Manager.
        Last edited by claydoh; Oct 17, 2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          I dunno. My bone stock, minimal install with zero extra software installed software installed takes less than 15 Gb of space, including the swap file.
          Yes, thats what surprised me. I just installed mail, browser, PulseEffects, Audacious, SM-Player, Coolero (a very useful tool for AIO Watercoolers) and the Steam Client (games on a seperate drive). Have to check how big the Steam Client is.

Damn I just mentioned the big update somehow disabled Coolero. It doesnt start anymore. And it reset many of my settings... bleh.

Use a dedicated drive space tool such as the very handy and underrated Filelight or[CONSOLE] df -f [/CONSOLE as well as perhaps Gparted, Partition Manager.
          Yea I'm using g-parted but that is too radical to make space
          I'll look into Filelight thanks!

Ah "scan folder" shows the details.
          Last edited by Fred-VIE; Oct 17, 2022, 03:14 PM.

Comment

It says my objects/pack need 57 GB. I just dont know what in there is not important. If any.

Is there a command to clean up that objects folder?

2 GB more space via "sudo apt-get autoremove"

Last edited by Fred-VIE; Oct 17, 2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

It says my objects/pack need 57 GB. I just dont know what in there is not important. If any.
              I have absolutely no idea what that is. Definitely something you have downloaded or installed.

The full directory path might be useful to tell you what this is from. /something/something/somewhere/someplace/objects/pack? Poke around with Dolphin, take a look around. Sounds like game files as a first guess. Or Github related downloads?

Comment

In my profile folder home/username/objects/pack
                That pack folder is the source of my space problems since I never just install the smallest distribution the rest came with it. But if I could get rid of the pack files it would help tremendously since it is using half of the partition size.

Until I find a way to merge the two partitions which is tricky because for some weird reason the boot partition is in the middle and if I move it I most likely cant boot anymore since that drive is still mbr formatted. At least that's what gparted told me
                Last edited by Fred-VIE; Oct 18, 2022, 02:53 PM.

Comment

in my profile folder home/username/objects/pack

Then it is 10000% something you have installed.

Actually those are probably from your backup plan. There will be multiple dirs and files that go with this plan, so you might want to gather them all up into a single directory before moving them, or to make sure everything is deleted

This is the file structure:
                  $ tree -a -L 1
                  /media/Backups/Incremental1/
                  ├── branches
                  ├── bupindex
                  ├── bupindex.meta
                  ├── config
                  ├── description
                  ├── HEAD

├── hooks
                  ├── info
                  ├── logs
                  ├── objects
                  └── refs

Blue items are directories, green are files.

/objects/pack will have a ton of files

Ignore my personal directory path (actually on my NAS), everything below /media/Backups/Incremental1/ is part of the backup , and should all be in the same place together.
                  Move those to a different location, preferably in its own directory. Backups really should go somewhere outside of the things being backed up,
                  Last edited by claydoh; Oct 19, 2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Actually those are probably from your backup plan.
                    But I have deleted all backups and moved the new one to another drive.
                    Shouldnt the files be gone after that?

I wouldnt know howto find the backup files if they are at other places than username/objects/pack and are still there because of the freeze of the system and me using the reset button.

I guess what you meant is that I can look for those folders and files of your backup tree on my system to delete them?

Well I have moved the files to another drive to test if anything bad will happen. I left the other folders alone because they just had small text files in them anyways.
                    Last edited by Fred-VIE; Oct 19, 2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

But I have deleted all backups and moved the new one to another drive.
                      Shouldnt the files be gone after that?
                      Those are backup archives, as well as recovery data, and probably version data as well.
                      If you didn't move them, the backup tool would just regenerate new ones from scratch. if you don't need them, you can delete them
                      But they don't get moved or deleted on their own

If you moved all the files and directories I showed in my last post to the same location somewhere, you can open the new location from System Settings "Open and Restore" backup button to browse and restore from that backup set.
                      Open the directory with all those files, not an individual file.
                      If you don't need it any more, you can delete the leftover files.

Comment

Working...
                      X