This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Web url's on desktop open with Kate instead of Firefox

I have read too many instructions about creating links to websites on my Plasma desktop. None work. Based on the links properties they are desktop configuration files that open with Kate. When I try to change the default application to Firefox the link opens in Firefox as text. It does not open the Website that the link is based on.

This is my basic system info:
    Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.6
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-48-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2​

Right-click on the desktop, or in Dolphin for that matter.
    Create New >> Link to Location (URL)
    Add a title, copy/paste the url desired
    Click Done
    Finished.
    You can change the icon used as well

A link to a web page is a .url file, not an html file or anything like that.

Chrome can add a shortcut for you, but it is buried on the three-dot menu >> More tools >> create Shortcut
    Firefox does not have this option it its menus.

I would not be surprised if both browsers had extensions to make this easier for those who use this sort of thing often.
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 05, 2022, 05:01 PM.

Comment

This does not work. I have done this exactly like you recommended but It doesn't work. This is the properties dialog box for a link to a KDE forum.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Right-click on the desktop, or in Dolphin for that matter.
        Create New >> Link to Location (URL)
        Add a title, copy/paste the url desired
        Click Done
        Finished.
        This procedure works for me (Kubuntu 22.10).

Originally posted by Brickfoot View Post
        Based on the links properties they are desktop configuration files that open with Kate.
        That is true, at least in the fact the Properties > General > Open With: indicates Kate. You don't have to change that. You just have to double-click (unless you have single-click enabled) the link icon on the Desktop and it will open with (in my case) Firefox.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok so it works for everyone but me. Please help me fix it. What information do you need.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	546
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	665737Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	526
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	665738

Comment

Mine is exactly like yours except that in Embedding > Service Preference Order I only have Embedded Advanced Text Editor (katepart)

Also, though I doubt it matters, General > Description: is desktop entry (but this is only a descriptive name)
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well thanks. I have followed the instructions exactly. Copying the Web address then rt-clicking the desktop and choosing create new then link to location (url). It's all very easy. I also tried dragging the icon at the beginning of the url in Firefox and dragging it to the desktop but the both create the same effect. When clicking(double clicking) the created desktop link I see the Kate icon in the panel flash a couple of times but it never really opens.
              I just don't get it I seems so simple and I don't do any questionable tweaking to the system so I should have basically a default system with only changes to the background.
              I'm going to try and be patient but this is very discouraging. This is a necessity for how I use my desktop.

Comment

Using my instructions, a .url file should be created not a .desktop file. Check the file associations for that

Ill grab some images when I am back at the computer.
                Last edited by claydoh; Oct 06, 2022, 06:05 AM.

Comment

What are the contents of said desktop file?

here is one I just made

Name:	Screenshot_20221006_080408.png
Views:	528
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	665748 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221006_081124.png
Views:	472
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	665749

[Desktop Entry]
                  Code:
                  Icon=text-html
                  Name=My New Link
                  Type=Link
                  URL[$e]=https://www.kubuntuforums.net/​

Comment

Try this setting in Dolphin:

Name:	Screenshot_20221006_082552.png
Views:	477
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	665751

Try setting it to "Always Ask", which resets things back to stock defaults for script files.

Comment

Hey good news and bad news. It was a Firefox problem. When I booted up today Firefox wouldn't work at all. I had to uninstall through Discover and when I tried to reinstall, Discover didn't list Firefox at all. I rebooted and still no Firefox. I reinstalled using Muon Package manager and everything is working perfectly. I am very nervous about this Firefox issue and Snap.
                      Anyway thank you all so much for trying to help me.

Consider this [SOLVED]

Comment

Guess What? Problem is back! All of the desktop shortcuts are broken again. Now since Firefox was the problem before I'm going to assume the same again and ask what can I do to troubleshoot this ongoing issue. I have updated my system several times through Discover but haven't added any new software. (I did buy a new wireless mouse but no software was installed)

I have to head to work but I would like to take steps to fix this with your help.

Thanks

Comment

Today it's working again. What's next?

Sorry for the hassle.

Comment

Working...
                          X