install deb file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] install deb file

22.04, double clicking (easytether_0.8.9_amd64.deb) produces a greyed-out install button, install with, also no luck, terminal, says installed but "dependecy problems". doing a search for dgebi produces an install button, but an apparent error: "too few items" and dgebi is not available to install (easytether), really

This deb package is my only option to get on the internet, to finish updating 22.04. my little usb-wifi barely downloaded the preinstall updates, it seems to need a driver update cause its to slow, so im back to easytether

tried sudp apt install -f
    but got "could not get lock" ... "held by" ... "qptworker3"

Comment

then i tried to remove the program and got the same error as above

Comment

right now "muon package manager" is downloading "universe amd64 0ad-data all 0.0.25b-1" 1.2gig, but it won't finish till tomorrow morning

Comment

Where did you download the package from? If not here http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/drivers.html (download the one for Ubuntu 20.04/mint 20) If you got it somewhere else you may have gotten an older version which will not work with newer versions of Kubuntu. Also most modern phones no longer need this package but can be tether with apps on the phone If it's and android version. This page is a little old now but still should give good advise. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to...hone-in-linux/
          Good luck
          Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
            […]If not here http://www.mobile-stream.com/easytether/drivers.html (download the one for Ubuntu 20.04/mint 20) If you got it somewhere else you may have gotten an older version which will not work with newer versions of Kubuntu.[…]
            As the OP uses Kubuntu 22.04 (not 20.04) even the .deb from the aforementioned site could be too old/incompatible. It is meant for (K)ubuntu 20.04 / Mint 20 and/or Debian 10!
            This could be the main problem.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

As the OP uses Kubuntu 22.04 (not 20.04) even the .deb from the aforementioned site could be too old/incompatible. It is meant for (K)ubuntu 20.04 / Mint 20 and/or Debian 10!
              This could be the main problem.
              Yep I agree but that is the newest one I could find and may work.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Wouldn't
                sudo dpkg -i easytether_0.8.9_amd64.deb
                work?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek, yes, and here is the result:

wyse5010@wyse5010:~$ cd ~/Desktop
                  wyse5010@wyse5010:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i easytether_0.8.9_amd64.deb
                  [sudo] password for wyse5010:
                  (Reading database ... 204258 files and directories currently installed.)
                  Preparing to unpack easytether_0.8.9_amd64.deb ...
                  Unpacking easytether (0.8.9) over (0.8.9) ...
                  dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of easytether:
                  easytether depends on libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0); however:
                  Package libssl1.1 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package easytether (--install):
                  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                  Errors were encountered while processing:
                  easytether
                  wyse5010@wyse5010:~/Desktop$

im keying on "libssl1.1", so i downloaded the deb file:
                  libssl1.1_1.1.1-1ubuntu2.1~18.04.20_amd64.deb

Question: will installing this through terminal fix all my problems or make them worse?​

Comment

well installing the libssl.....deb file seemed to work, my phone asked for permission like it should , but then no internet

so i found this

https://github.com/hrkfdn/ncspot/issues/812

last entry on the page:

davidparks21 commented on May 22
                    ... "it appears that the easytether app just needs to update support for libssl3"

so am i correct in assuming this is all on the folks over at easytether?

Comment

really, constant security updates just like windows?
                      well, i orriginally felt very alone in this, but thanks for your replies!

Comment

Originally posted by duane2064 View Post
                        really, constant security updates just like windows?
                        well, i orriginally felt very alone in this, but thanks for your replies!
                        Really.
                        It has always been that way. The difference is that Microsoft would keep security holes secret, even threatening security researchers with lawsuits if they reported their findings to anyone other than Microsoft, and then release knowledge of the security hole and the patch on the same day, and then claim zero day patching. Some holes were known by MS for months and years and nothing was done about them.

Linux security began with a public announcement of a security hole, usually within 24 hours of finding it, and a proof of concept script or executable that people could see if their system was a problem. That allowed Linux users to take security measures until the patch to fix the security hole was released. Such patches usually took a few days at the most.

Why the difference? Microsoft had an income stream to protect. Linux has a reputation to protect.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

well got easy tether working:
                          copy the two deb files to the desktop

then in terminal:

cd ./desktop
                          sudo dpkg -i libssl1.1_1.1.1-1ubuntu2.1~18.04.20_amd64.deb
                          sudo dpkg -i easytether_0.8.9_amd64.deb
                          sudo -i
                          /usr/bin/easytether-usb
                          systemctl restart systemd-networkd

Comment

dear GreyGeek

please read the 2008 book "shadow factory" by james bamford

a very tedious read to say the least, but i finished the whole thing. its a huge technical, historical book 1/4 of which is footnotes, with few conclusions from him, the author expects us to make our own conclusions based on the overwhelming evidence.

chronologically
                            2001 james bamford publishes his book "body of secrets"
                            2002 william binney, the technical director of the nsa, goes public, after following the normal chain of command without remedy,

binney is careful to not release anything that is not already in the public domain.
                            most of everything he releases to the public is in bamford's 2001 book.

still he is swat teamed with aks drawn and charged with 20 crimes.

he is told to plea out and he won't have to do any jail time.
                            but, binney sticks to his guns and call the gooberment's bluff.
                            the gooberment folds and drops all charges

2013, snowden, said that because of what happened to binney, flees to hong kong

a real discussion, would involve all the above and more, when you have done your homework, then we can have a real discussion

Comment

Working...
                            X