This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred-VIE View Post
    That two admins are contradicting each other does add to the confusion.
    Being a forum Admin doesn't imply being a Linux/Kubuntu/KDE/Plasma/... 'expert'. My reply to claydoh was based on how "I" perceived his post, which on reflection and review a second (and third) time, was incorrect.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

While I don't have an nvidia card (Intel HD Graphics), the xorg.conf is located at:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf

It's empty, and interestingly, its file date is Aug 23 (2022).
      Maybe they changed things up?
      Historically, the xorg.conf file belongs in /etc/X11/
      Then, they added the /xorg.conf.d directory for custom, individual options, when having an xorg.conf file was no longer a requirement (as things became auto-configured). This is where the small xx-some-custom-option.conf files would reside.

I don't have an xorg.conf file on any of my systems at all (Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm (arm)), and only one system with a file in /xorg.conf.d/ , 00-keyboard.conf, probably as I had at some point was adding and removing various keyboard layouts in the past.

In any case, the nvidia-settings tool apparently doesn't save configs to these directories at all, but to ~/.nvidia-settings-rc because of course Nvidia don't use the standard directories
      (but the https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jammy/man1/nvidia-settings.1.html]manpage, section #3 sort of describes why)
      I stopped using nvidia cards about 3 or 4 years ago specifically because of these sort of shenanigans, obviously I seem to have outdated info even though I try to keep up with it.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf​ just screamed to me an incorrect file/path, apparently it is now a valid one.

It of course has no bearing on Nvidia's official tool not being able to save settings, no matter where they are located. The tool is/was *supposed* to prompt for a password when saving to the system-wide xorg.conf file file as opposed to the user's local configurations.
      And there seems to be about 5 different 'solutions' per person per incident of this sort of thing.

Originally posted by Fred-VIE View Post
      Still this is getting more confusing. That two admins are contradicting each other does add to the confusion.
      Well admin status on a forum does not equate to me being an expert on any particular topic
      Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 30, 2022, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Well admin status on a forum does not equate to me being an expert on any particular topic :​
        Should have asked Jeeves

Comment

Working...
        X