This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error when starting gnucash after updating to 22.04.1 LTS

After (re)installing gnucash from the repository, I am getting the following error when trying to start the program:

gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_locale.so.1.71.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I cannot find a 1.71 version of libboost in the repository. Flatpak verison won't install because of platform version, and I'd rather not build from source.

I installed gnucash (bringing in a shed load of packages) on my Kubuntu 22.04, (release upgraded for a long time) and it installed version 1:4.8-1build2 that depends on libboost_locale.so.1.74.0, which is the one that is present in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, and it starts fine. So there's something not right with the packaging on your Kubuntu.

Which version of the gnucash package is there? (Note I'm asking the package version, not the gnucash version, which likely 4.8, from September 2021).

Before installing gnucash, was apt "up to date" (that's what Discover calls it, you might have used some other tools such as sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade)?

Maybe there's a problem with the repository mirror your system used, that will resolve itself with a little time as the mirrors get updated. Or maybe you've got a ppa that's confusing things; check out /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list.

I wonder what libboost-locale you have. On my Kubuntu:
    Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost-locale*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3298674 Mar 17 11:34 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_locale.a
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      25 Mar 17 11:34 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_locale.so -> libboost_locale.so.1.74.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  674400 Mar 17 11:34 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_locale.so.1.74.0
    If you have got some version of libboost_locale.so, a desperate resort would be to link libboost_locale.so.1.71.0 to it.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

libboost-locale1.71 is from Focal 20.04, Jammy 22.04 has 1.74. What version of Gnucash do you have? it should be 4.8.
      it seems like you have somehow installed the 20.04 version of the application?

apt policy gnucash will show the whats and where-froms

Comment

I fixed it. I probably messed things up a while back when I was actually building from source. Eventually I built from source again and afterwards, uninstalled this version and reinstalled from the repository. This apparently fixed the availability of the libraries.

The top menus need to be coaxed into existence (with top right window button > more actions > configure window manager), but I can use the program again.

Thanks both for helping.
        Last edited by staxas; Aug 13, 2022, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X