This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secure Boot/EUFI Help Needed to Install Kubuntu

Hi, not new to Kubuntu or Linux, but I'm new to these EUFI/Secure boot hurdles. Here's where I'm at:

1.) Spilled water all over my old laptop.
    2.) Bought new ThinkPad T470s (with spill-proof keyboard
    3.) Removed NVMe SSD with Windows10 and installed new/blank and larger NVMe SSD.
    4.) Turned off Secure Boot in "BIOS".
    5.) Installed Kubuntu 17.04 via USB.
    6.) When I try to boot from SSD, the system doesn't seem to recognize GRUB. I get two options:

1.) Windows Boot Manger
    2.) (NVMe SSD)
    3.) PCI Lan

7.) If I choose option 2, the system "boots" to a cursor (not CLI).

My question: What settings am I missing here? Did I have to change something through windows? (Didn't even boot up Windows.) Did I miss something when installing Kubuntu? It did ask me if I wanted to force a EUFI installation. Since there was no other "older" OS to worry about, I proceeded.

Might try my notes here:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977

UEFI Simplified, a quicker version

the section:
    Installing the OS in UEFI mode
    read down through and to:
    Boot the Kubuntu installer in UEFI mode
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for that. I used Gparted Live to prep the SSD. When booting up Kubuntu 17.04 from the USB, I didn't see any option for EUFI mode. GRUB only offered Kubuntu Live. Is EUFI mode handled automatically in 17.04?

Edit: Success! I guess 17.04 doesn't need to be pointed toward EUFI mode during install. Everybody else probably knew that... Thank you.
      Last edited by vtpoet; Aug 11, 2017, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Well, you got it!

Is UEFI mode handled automatically in 17.04? Not quite (I don't think):

Boot the Kubuntu installer in UEFI mode: With the DVD/USB installer, reboot the PC, enter the computer's UEFI setup by pressing the correct key for your computer. Find the boot menu (or boot override menu) where the bootable devices are listed. Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI DVD or USB (it may also show up as a "normal" DVD/USB choice). Look for UEFI /(FAT) or a reference to UEFI. (Example: a DVD may appear as "UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB)") Select the UEFI DVD or USB option from the firmware boot menu and boot up with it. Now proceed as you usually do to install Kubuntu. If asked where to install GRUB boot-loader, simply choose sda (it won't really matter as the installer will automatically identify and use the proper ESP (EFI System Partition)).
        Everybody else probably knew that...
        Ha! I doubt that! You are not alone here wrt the UEFI business.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X