Icon keeps disappearing from task bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icon keeps disappearing from task bar

My firefox icon keeps disappearing from the "icons only taskmanager" (taskbar).

I can start FF from the hole in the taskbar but the icon does not return until I delete it and assign it again which I am getting annoyed with.

Since there was an update message recently (snap - dunno why FF is installed as snap package) I assume this bug shows after FF got updated.

For me icons keep dissappering for every app, not only for Firefox. I upgraded Kubuntu yesterday, (I haven't had time for that before), so I don't know since when it is broken but it is imho a major bug.

Comment

These problems can possibly be caused by ownership problems in one's home directory, caused by running GUI programmes as root. It's easy to check, in a konsole run:
      Code:
      find . '!' -user $USER
      If that finds anything in settings files or directories, it could be causing things not to stick.

Another cause can be corruption in some KDE or plasma settings file. First the messing up of the settings, then not coping with it, are indeed bugs but unless they start occurring for a large fraction of users or are easily reproducible they won't be regarded as major. You can try renaming files to reset the settings, and see if the problems go away. ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc is an unruly beast that has got screwed up for me in the past,
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        run:
        Code:
        find . '!' -user $USER
        That shows me
        ./media
        ./media/username
        ./media/username/a9068c68-8200-43d8-a7f7-0d23c01cae67 (a partition I added as data disk)
        ./media/username/a9068c68-8200-43d8-a7f7-0d23c01cae67/Test (the same partition but a sub folder)

But what now?

./media basicly says all drives on my system run as root? Dont they have to because else I dont have access?

Or does that mean that I have no files that are run as root because it just shows drives and folders?

Last edited by Fred-VIE; Oct 17, 2022, 11:55 AM.

Comment

When I suggested find . '!' -user $USER I was intending it to be run in your home directory. It was only a possibility, easily checked so worth checking.
          I think the ownership of /media and /media/username is correct.

(BTW, if you give partitions on data discs labels, those labels will be used in /media/username, and you may find that easier to work with.)
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            (BTW, if you give partitions on data discs labels, those labels will be used in /media/username, and you may find that easier to work with.)
            Yea thats an odd one because sometimes it uses the label and sometimes it does not.

I just wanted to label one of my partitions because of that before I read your post and found out it is labelled but the label is still not used but instead this horrific long number is still in use. While it used the label on another partition that I labelled with gparted right away.

Seems like that icon problem might be an issue of the snap package since it always happens with version updates and I dont have that problem on Manjaro where FF aint installed via snap.
            Last edited by Fred-VIE; Oct 18, 2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X